Q. Can tongue cleaner cause itchy tongue?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal
This is a premium question & answer published on May 25, 2016 and last reviewed on: Mar 18, 2020

I have an itchy tongue. I can describe the itching like putting a needle on right and left corners of the tongue. I am using steel tongue cleaner for the last 15 years and I have stopped now. Please help.

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• Are you a diabetic person?
  • Has the tongue problem reduced after you stopped using the tongue cleaner?

Revert back with the asked details to an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

| 

I am 29 years old and not a diabetic. I still have the problem. My ENT specialist told me it could be because of excessive use of steel tongue cleaner before.

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• Do you have any other complaints such as numbness of tongue or pain?
  • Just mere itching can be due to spicy food or using harsh tooth brush or tongue depressor or sometimes due to acidity.
  • If you do not have any other associated complaints or any other systemic disease like diabetes, thyroid, etc., then any pathology is unlikely.

Revert back with the details to an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

| 

I have no other complaints. Due to foul smell in the morning I used tongue cleaner hardly for very long. I remember I noticed several times slight bleeding from my tongue while cleaning tongue.

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• You should avoid doing it. May be you have injured your tongue.
  • Avoid intake of spicy foods as it will help in faster healing.

For further doubts consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|