Q. My tongue is bleeding while brushing and having white sopts in the uvula. Kindly explain.

Dr. Syed Tehmid
Published on Jun 15, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jun 17, 2019

My tongue hurts and bleeds when brushed. White spot on uvula area and white and small red dots on the roof of my mouth. Also, a yellowish color is seen on the roof of my mouth.

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

The condition is called aphthous stomatitis. It usually follows a brief period of stress to be emotional or physical, as a febrile sickness. You need to take a short course of antibiotics, topical analgesics, anesthetics. Multivitamin supplements and antacids can be taken. It is usually self-limiting, and the treatment is aimed at symptom relief.

| 

Is that a for sure diagnosis? How are you able to say that is for sure what it is? I am only questioning the answer to calm my mind because I was worried some of it could be cancerous because I was a tobacco smoker and I have recently quit it. I am going to the doctor tomorrow, but I am the type of person who tends to worry more than usual. I need your help.

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Well, you are right to ask for the certainty with which I am making a diagnosis. It is the look of the lesions and their location on mobile parts of the oral cavity that assure me it is simple aphthous stomatitis. Malignant lesions have a slightly different look, and they tend to be circumscribed rather than diffuse.

|