Q. What is the solution for tongue numbness after tooth extraction?

Answered by Dr. Prerna Jain and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Tongue Numbness or Nerve Damage? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »
Image: What is the solution for tongue numbness after tooth extraction?

Dr. Prerna Jain
MDS (ORTHODONTICS AND DENTOFACIAL ORTHOPAEDICS)., BDS
Dentistry, Orthodontist

The tongue numbness is caused by nerve injury or irritation at the time of giving local anesthesia before your tooth removal or even due to the closeness of the roots of your tooth to the nerve bundle. However, this is usually transient and there is a gradual recovery of your nerve function. Since this is the only symptom, there are higher chances of restoration of nerve function. It usually takes six to nine months for complete recovery. There is a small chance that it may be permanent.

Also, you can consult your dentist regarding the same. He or she can do a thorough check up of other areas and determine the extent of the numbness. You can also increase the chance of healing by taking a nerve growth factor like Neurobion. You can get it prescribed by your doctor after discussing the problem with him or her.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Why is there numbness in tongue and jaw after wisdom tooth extraction?
Query: Hello doctor, My lower right side impacted wisdom tooth has been extracted a week back. Till now my half tongue and jawline of the right side are numb or I am not feeling hot or cold at that side. I am so much worried. Is that normal or is it a concern of worrying? I am panicking for getting sense ...  Read Full »
Dr. Naveen Thomas
Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If the tongue feels numb even after a day, then you may have a condition called paresthesia. It occurs when the injection injures the nerves. and such numbness can remain for a week or two, sometimes even for a month. But it will go away as the nerves heal slowly. Ta...  Read Full »

How can I be relaxed during getting anesthesia for wisdom tooth removal?
Query: Hello doctor, Today I got my wisdom teeth pulled and they said they were gonna give me a shot in my mouth. There is no way I will be relaxed. Is there any option they would do for me to be more comfortable?  Read Full »
Dr. Muzaffer Hissain Parray
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, this is the only way to get local anesthesia. You can also go for general anesthesia but it will be too costly and needs hospitalization. It is a simple procedure, and you will only feel a prick like an insect bite. Do not worry, it is simple and there will be no pai...  Read Full »

A 52 year old male is unable to walk due to nerve damage. Kindly help.
Query: Hello doctor,My uncle is 52 years old. He had an issue when he was in his young age. His nerve got pinched and due to that incident, he is not able to walk properly. He has gone through so many tests recently. But we are not satisfied with the treatment. Please, clear whom should we consult.  Read Full »
Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I reviewed all his tests (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and would explain that they indicate a possible genetic disorder which causes progressive paralysis. Unfortunately, there is no cure for these disorders as the brain cells and spinal cord cells...  Read Full »

Is it possible to cure my respiratory allergy and throat infection with some medicine?
Can inhaling enamel paint residual fumes cause health issues?
Arthritis in Its Many Forms