Tonsil Stones

Why do I have an oval-shaped growth beyond my tonsil?

Query: Hi doctor, I noticed an oval shaped growth beyond my left tonsil. The top is white and the bottom is in normal color. It seems like a nodule that is hanging on the flat throat surface. It also seems that capillaries are running in and out of this growth. Please see the attached picture. It does not ...  Read Full »

Dr. Alok Rathi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It looks like pustule, which may be due to localized infection. It can also be debris collected and appearing as such creamy white. However, it is definitely not a lesion to be worried. You can do salt water gargles for a week and recheck. Take healthy diet and multiv...  Read Full »

Why do I feel like something is stuck in my throat after a tonsil infection?

Query: Hello doctor, I was suffering from an infection in my tonsil for the past four days. I went to an ENT specialist four days ago. He told me there is an infection and advised me antibiotic. Now my pain in the tonsil has gone, but I am still feeling something stuck in my left side of the throat where...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Probably the infection got resolved, but the enlargement and hypertrophy of tonsils remain. You need to take a picture of the open throat showing both tonsils and send to us. If the enlargement is very big and causes significant symptoms recurrently, we can remove t...  Read Full »

Why is one of my tonsils larger?

Query: I am 23 years old and am healthy. I have suffered with year round allergies since I was young and take zyrtec everyday. I also am more of a mouth breather and even when I sleep sometimes. I started getting small tonsils stones a few months ago and have only had about 3-4 tiny ones. One tonsil has be...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi! Thanks for briefing regarding the problem in concern. I had a detailed look at the picture you have sent. There are few things which need to be understood in detail 1. There is a severe allergic component which requires proper precautionary and medical treatment. Taking zyrtec for a long peri...  Read Full »

Please suggest medications for bumps on tonsils.

Query: Hello doctor, I have bumps on tonsils. I am currently on Crestor 20 mg.  Read Full »

Dr. Laxmi Narasimha G Yadav

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do you have any acidity problems? And the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity) itself is indicating tonsillar hypertrophy grade 2-3 and edematous uvula. Do you consume cold beverages often? Do you have allergic symptoms in the nose? What are yo...  Read Full »

What could cause sore throat with enlarged tonsils?

Query: Hi doctor, Recently, I had a sore throat and tonsil stones. I took antibiotics and it has not gone away. One tonsil is bigger than the other and on the same side my ear hurts and feels like there is fluid in there. No normal doctor will see, but I know 100% it is not COVID-19. I have a newborn and ...  Read Full »

Dr. Laxmi Narasimha G Yadav

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your history, it can be recurrent tonsillitis. And tonsil stones means you are talking about whitish structures in tonsils, right? And coming to ear pain it is referred to as otalgia from throat infection. Do not worry. It will decrease if throat infection is ...  Read Full »

How to clean tonsils with Waterpik?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having an issue with one of my tonsils (or around one of my tonsils). I have dealt with tonsil stones for years, and have typically used my finger or Waterpik to remove them. Last Saturday, I discovered some tonsil stones and used my finger to remove them. Upon not getting everything...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and read every detail you wrote. I must commend you for the detailed and chronological description of your problem. Like you predicted, it does not appear like stones. It is infected tons...  Read Full »

What is the reason for tonsil enlargement with tonsil stones?

Query: Hello doctor, For the past few years, I have observed an increase in size of my tonsils. Also, there is white mucus i.e. tonsil stones observed. I remove these tonsil stones manually. What should I do to get rid of these? I have started brushing twice a day and my sweet intake is close to zero. ...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is nothing that you need to be worried about as this is a very common entity that we come across and is treatable. Tonsils stones as such form only when the size of the tonsils increase in size to such an extent that the food debris get accumulated and get calci...  Read Full »

Why do I get a feel of something in throat even after removing tonsil stones?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a tonsil stone removed a few days ago thinking that is what I was feeling in my throat but it was not. There is something else I feel when I swallow. It does not hurt but just uncomfortable. It looks black maybe like a pimple or some kind of a bump.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through the picture you sent. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The throat, especially the posterior pharyngeal wall and palatine pillars appear a bit congested. Now, this could be due to a few reasons either allergy and repeated throat itch, in...  Read Full »

How to get rid of tonsil stones with sore throat and bad breath?

Query: Hello doctor, I think I have tonsil stones. I have little white things in my tonsil pockets. When I cough them up or manage to get them out, they are whitish or yellowish hard clumps. I have mild sore throats all the time, bad breath (I brush my teeth constantly and I make sure I do not eat food th...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You suffer from tonsilloliths. Tonsils which are lymphoid organs in the throat produce secretions through the crypts in them. In a few people, these secretions calcify and become stones (called tonsilloliths). In a vast majority of people it stays asymptomatic, howev...  Read Full »

What to do for recurrent tonsil stones with pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been getting tonsil stones for a few years now. But these last few months it is been getting more and more frequent. My tonsil craters have been getting deeper and harder to clean out with Q tips when I get the stones, and my throat is constantly paining on the whichever side ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vinay S Bhat

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems like you are having a condition known as keratosis tonsil where there will be afrequent collection of whitish debris in the crypts of tonsils. Usually, this condition is not associated with pain and bleeding but commonly it can cause foul smell from the mout...  Read Full »