Tonsil Stones

Why do I keep getting infected tonsils?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had recurrent tonsillitis for a few years. Now I have developed tonsil stones on my left tonsil quite badly, and every couple of days, if I cough too hard, the tonsil stone will dislodge and come out. My tonsils are quite big as well and sit on the back of my tongue and make me ga...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please take a picture of the back of your throat with an open mouth and send it to me.  Read Full »

Will weight reduction help in controlling the habit of snoring?

Query: Hi doctor, I want to know why one side of my palatopharyngeal arch seems larger than the other. I noticed this about two weeks ago. I had a tonsil stone on that side around a week ago. There is no pain. I suffer from airborne allergies and allergic rhinitis. I have a history of asthma. And I have t...  Read Full »

Dr. J N Naidu

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I carefully studied the pictures (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). It appears that on one side, there is mild inflammation which makes it appear as though it is on a lower level compared to the other side. 1. Cetirizine 10 mg- one tablet daily fo...  Read Full »

What treatment has to be done for tonsil stones?

Query: Hi doctor,I have had trouble with my tonsils my whole life, and they have always been enormous. I have had on and off bouts of tonsil stones. There is now a giant hole in my left tonsil. Way bigger than normal tonsil crypts. It is so big that it almost looks like the tonsil is splitting into halves....  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for the briefing regarding the problem in concern. You need to worry about absolutely nothing, and I did have a look at the picture you have sent. Your tonsils are enlarged ( I would say almost grade four), and if you have been having issues with it, I would sugg...  Read Full »

Why is one of my tonsils larger?

Query: Hi doctor,I am 23 years old. I suffered from round allergies for a year and took Zyrtec every day. I am a mouth breather and I am doing it even when I am sleeping. Before a few months, I started to have tonsil stones and they are in three to four numbers. One of my tonsils got larger. I am a huge hy...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attached picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There is an allergic component and it requires proper precautionary and medical treatment. Do not take Zyrtec (Cetirizine) for a long period of time. The tonsils get enlarged due ...  Read Full »

My tonsils were removed before 2 years, and I am getting tonsil stones now. What to do?

Query: Hello, I am 24 yrs old now, and I had my tonsils removed before 2 years because of halitosis. After few weeks, tonsil stones came back as Normal.Should I repeat surgery or what should I do to treat halitosis. Thanks.  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi Thanks for providing a brief history regarding the problem in concern. There is no question of developing stones in the oropharynx IF the tonsils have been removed completely (through whatever technique). Tonsils have crevices and the surface isnt flat and does have the tendency to accumilate fo...  Read Full »

Why do I have an oval-shaped growth beyond my tonsil?

Query: Hi doctor, I noticed an oval shaped growth beyond my left tonsil. The top is white and the bottom is in normal color. It seems like a nodule that is hanging on the flat throat surface. It also seems that capillaries are running in and out of this growth. Please see the attached picture. It does not ...  Read Full »

Dr. Alok Rathi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It looks like pustule, which may be due to localized infection. It can also be debris collected and appearing as such creamy white. However, it is definitely not a lesion to be worried. You can do salt water gargles for a week and recheck. Take healthy diet and multiv...  Read Full »

Why do I feel like something is stuck in my throat after a tonsil infection?

Query: Hello doctor, I was suffering from an infection in my tonsil for the past four days. I went to an ENT specialist four days ago. He told me there is an infection and advised me antibiotic. Now my pain in the tonsil has gone, but I am still feeling something stuck in my left side of the throat where...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Probably the infection got resolved, but the enlargement and hypertrophy of tonsils remain. You need to take a picture of the open throat showing both tonsils and send to us. If the enlargement is very big and causes significant symptoms recurrently, we can remove t...  Read Full »

Please suggest medications for bumps on tonsils.

Query: Hello doctor, I have bumps on tonsils. I am currently on Crestor 20 mg.  Read Full »

Dr. Laxmi Narasimha G Yadav

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do you have any acidity problems? And the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity) itself is indicating tonsillar hypertrophy grade 2-3 and edematous uvula. Do you consume cold beverages often? Do you have allergic symptoms in the nose? What are yo...  Read Full »

What could cause sore throat with enlarged tonsils?

Query: Hi doctor, Recently, I had a sore throat and tonsil stones. I took antibiotics and it has not gone away. One tonsil is bigger than the other and on the same side my ear hurts and feels like there is fluid in there. No normal doctor will see, but I know 100% it is not COVID-19. I have a newborn and ...  Read Full »

Dr. Laxmi Narasimha G Yadav

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your history, it can be recurrent tonsillitis. And tonsil stones means you are talking about whitish structures in tonsils, right? And coming to ear pain it is referred to as otalgia from throat infection. Do not worry. It will decrease if throat infection is ...  Read Full »

How to clean tonsils with Waterpik?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having an issue with one of my tonsils (or around one of my tonsils). I have dealt with tonsil stones for years, and have typically used my finger or Waterpik to remove them. Last Saturday, I discovered some tonsil stones and used my finger to remove them. Upon not getting everything...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and read every detail you wrote. I must commend you for the detailed and chronological description of your problem. Like you predicted, it does not appear like stones. It is infected tons...  Read Full »