Tonsil Stones

What could cause sore throat with enlarged tonsils?

Query: Hi doctor, Recently, I had a sore throat and tonsil stones. I took antibiotics and it has not gone away. One tonsil is bigger than the other and on the same side my ear hurts and feels like there is fluid in there. No normal doctor will see, but I know 100% it is not COVID-19. I have a newborn and ...  Read Full »

Dr. Laxmi Narasimha G Yadav

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your history, it can be recurrent tonsillitis. And tonsil stones means you are talking about whitish structures in tonsils, right? And coming to ear pain it is referred to as otalgia from throat infection. Do not worry. It will decrease if throat infection ...  Read Full »

How to clean tonsils with Waterpik?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having an issue with one of my tonsils (or around one of my tonsils). I have dealt with tonsil stones for years, and have typically used my finger or Waterpik to remove them. Last Saturday, I discovered some tonsil stones and used my finger to remove them. Upon not getting everything...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and read every detail you wrote. I must commend you for the detailed and chronological description of your problem. Like you predicted, it does not appear like stones. It is infected tons...  Read Full »

What is the reason for tonsil enlargement with tonsil stones?

Query: Hello doctor, For the past few years, I have observed an increase in size of my tonsils. Also, there is white mucus i.e. tonsil stones observed. I remove these tonsil stones manually. What should I do to get rid of these? I have started brushing twice a day and my sweet intake is close to zero. ...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is nothing that you need to be worried about as this is a very common entity that we come across and is treatable. Tonsils stones as such form only when the size of the tonsils increase in size to such an extent that the food debris get accumulated and get calci...  Read Full »

Why do I get a feel of something in throat even after removing tonsil stones?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a tonsil stone removed a few days ago thinking that is what I was feeling in my throat but it was not. There is something else I feel when I swallow. It does not hurt but just uncomfortable. It looks black maybe like a pimple or some kind of a bump.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through the picture you sent. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The throat, especially the posterior pharyngeal wall and palatine pillars appear a bit congested. Now, this could be due to a few reasons either allergy and repeated throat itch, in...  Read Full »

How to get rid of tonsil stones with sore throat and bad breath?

Query: Hello doctor, I think I have tonsil stones. I have little white things in my tonsil pockets. When I cough them up or manage to get them out, they are whitish or yellowish hard clumps. I have mild sore throats all the time, bad breath (I brush my teeth constantly and I make sure I do not eat food th...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You suffer from tonsilloliths. Tonsils which are lymphoid organs in the throat produce secretions through the crypts in them. In a few people, these secretions calcify and become stones (called tonsilloliths). In a vast majority of people it stays asymptomatic, howev...  Read Full »

What to do for recurrent tonsil stones with pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been getting tonsil stones for a few years now. But these last few months it is been getting more and more frequent. My tonsil craters have been getting deeper and harder to clean out with Q tips when I get the stones, and my throat is constantly paining on the whichever side ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vinay S Bhat

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems like you are having a condition known as keratosis tonsil where there will be afrequent collection of whitish debris in the crypts of tonsils. Usually, this condition is not associated with pain and bleeding but commonly it can cause foul smell from the mout...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for recurrent tonsillitis and tonsil stones?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been suffering from recurring tonsillitis since I was a child. I was told at one point that if I was to be diagnosed with tonsillitis again, I would have to schedule to get my tonsils removed. However, I have had it quite a few times since. I also suffer from frequent tonsil s...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your tonsils are definitely infected. You need a course of antibiotics, decongestants, pain killers and good gargles. Additionally, we need to have a look at your nose to rule out if there is any rhinitis or sinusitis that is triggering the tonsil infections repeated...  Read Full »

What causes the feeling of food getting stuck in the tonsils?

Query: Hello doctor, More than two months ago, I started getting this constant feeling of food being stuck in the top back of my left tonsil. I looked in the mirror and did not see anything suspicious in my throat. Since I get tonsil stones often (even though I do not feel them), I thought it was the sam...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Is there such a feeling when you do not swallow anything? Is there any pain or fever or soreness? Is any mucus dripping from the back of the nose to throat? Any nose block or nasal discharge? Any problem of sinusitis? How is your diet? Do you smoke or drink? Ha...  Read Full »

I have recurring tonsil stones inspite of having Augmentin. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have recurring tonsil stones and was on Augmentin for two weeks. But it did not help. I feel like a tonsillectomy is overdue smelly when I swab with a cotton pick. Please help.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Recurrent tonsil stones not relieved by antibiotics is an indication for tonsillectomy. It is a safe surgery with definite benefits. The surgeon may use the coablation technique, which causes the least post-operative pain and minimal bleeding. For now, complete the cou...  Read Full »

What causes postnasal drip and swollen tonsils?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 46 year old female, and I am a non-smoker and non-drinker. I received a kidney transplant 16 years ago. I am in a very good health, and I had no bouts of rejection. I eat well and exercise. I just started a new job in another city, so I had to move. Two months back, everyone in ...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Enlargement of tonsil on one side is not usually a good sign. Infectious or inflammatory causes usually cause enlargement on both sides. The constant post-nasal drip points to some cause in the sinuses. Constant post-nasal drip can act as a cause for enlargement of tons...  Read Full »