Tonsil Stones

What is the treatment for recurrent tonsillitis and tonsil stones?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been suffering from recurring tonsillitis since I was a child. I was told at one point that if I was to be diagnosed with tonsillitis again, I would have to schedule to get my tonsils removed. However, I have had it quite a few times since. I also suffer from frequent tonsil s...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your tonsils are definitely infected. You need a course of antibiotics, decongestants, pain killers and good gargles. Additionally, we need to have a look at your nose to rule out if there is any rhinitis or sinusitis that is triggering the tonsil infections repeated...  Read Full »

What causes the feeling of food getting stuck in the tonsils?

Query: Hello doctor, More than two months ago, I started getting this constant feeling of food being stuck in the top back of my left tonsil. I looked in the mirror and did not see anything suspicious in my throat. Since I get tonsil stones often (even though I do not feel them), I thought it was the sam...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Is there such a feeling when you do not swallow anything? Is there any pain or fever or soreness? Is any mucus dripping from the back of the nose to throat? Any nose block or nasal discharge? Any problem of sinusitis? How is your diet? Do you smoke or drink? Ha...  Read Full »

I have recurring tonsil stones inspite of having Augmentin. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have recurring tonsil stones and was on Augmentin for two weeks. But it did not help. I feel like a tonsillectomy is overdue smelly when I swab with a cotton pick. Please help.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Recurrent tonsil stones not relieved by antibiotics is an indication for tonsillectomy. It is a safe surgery with definite benefits. The surgeon may use the coablation technique, which causes the least post-operative pain and minimal bleeding. For now, complete the cou...  Read Full »

What causes postnasal drip and swollen tonsils?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 46 year old female, and I am a non-smoker and non-drinker. I received a kidney transplant 16 years ago. I am in a very good health, and I had no bouts of rejection. I eat well and exercise. I just started a new job in another city, so I had to move. Two months back, everyone in ...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Enlargement of tonsil on one side is not usually a good sign. Infectious or inflammatory causes usually cause enlargement on both sides. The constant post-nasal drip points to some cause in the sinuses. Constant post-nasal drip can act as a cause for enlargement of tons...  Read Full »

Can tonsil stones cause an altered sense of smell?

Query: Hello doctor, I currently have tonsil stones that do not occur every day but at a rate of three to four a week. Also, I notice it does not take much for me to get hoarse and my voice cracks for no reason when talking. I have also noticed that my sense of smell is off.  Read Full »

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Otolaryngologist, Audiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Tonsil stones are a sign of chronic tonsillitis. They occur due to the accumulation of food debris in the tonsil crevices. This may be due to a tonsil infection or due to an infection from the nose. As you have mentioned that your voice cracks and there is a smell di...  Read Full »

How to clean tonsils with Waterpik?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having an issue with one of my tonsils (or around one of my tonsils). I have dealt with tonsil stones for years, and have typically used my finger or Waterpik to remove them. Last Saturday, I discovered some tonsil stones and used my finger to remove them. Upon not getting everything...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and read every detail you wrote. I must commend you for the detailed and chronological description of your problem. Like you predicted, it does not appear like stones. It is infected tons...  Read Full »

What is the gurgling in my throat?

Query: Hi doctor,I am getting anxious about my health. I just wish you to look at a photo I have attached. It is a photo I got from the internet, which looks very similar to me. I have no other symptoms. I have always had the slight red marks, but have never noticed them. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Alok Rathi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Those represent the cobblestone appearance of posterior pharyngeal wall and it is in early stage. There is nothing to worry. Such appearance of posterior pharyngeal wall is usually seen in chronic allergic pharyngitis. It may also be seen in asymptomatic people and c...  Read Full »

How is cobblestone appearance in throat treated?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had one sided throat pain for a week now when swallowing, usually have cobblestone appearance on the back of the throat, now my throat pain is slight and maybe more on to the side of where this lump above my tonsil appeared. What does this look like? Could this be a tonsil ston...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It appears more like a cyst within the tonsillar tissue. If no symptoms then we can leave it as it is. But since you have pain with congestion and cobblestone appearance of the posterior pharyngeal wall, I suggest you take some decongestants and Tylenol. Try for a few day...  Read Full »

I have tonsil stones, sore throat, and swollen gums, with dry cough. Should I worry about oral cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, I have tonsil stones, sore throat, swollen gums, and dry cough. Is this the symptoms of oral or throat cancer?  Read Full »

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A recurrent sore throat can occur in a number of pathologies. Most often it is as a result of some local pathology like Rhinosinusitis, nasopharyngitis, tonsillitis, GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease), LPR (laryngopharyngeal reflux). Rather than relapsing and rec...  Read Full »

What are the white areas in my tonsil?

Query: Hello doctor, I am concerned about my tonsils. I honestly need them removed but have other health issues and just cannot right now. I had a cyst last year that slowly shrunk away to nothing, I have tonsil stones. The full range of issues. Right now I have these large white areas toward the bottom o...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. They are pus or keratotic patches (attachment removed to protect patient identity). If pus, then it should be painful. Most likely keratotic patches over the tonsil. Can you take pictures where both tonsils can be visualized? Do you have such spots on the other tonsil a...  Read Full »