Q. Even after removing tonsils due to halitosis, I am getting tonsil stones. What to do?

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

I am 24 yrs old now, and I had my tonsils removed before 2 years because of halitosis. After few weeks, tonsil stones came back as Normal.Should I repeat surgery or what should I do to treat halitosis. Thanks.

#

Hi

Thanks for providing a brief history regarding the problem in concern. There is no question of developing stones in the oropharynx IF the tonsils have been removed completely (through whatever technique). Tonsils have crevices and the surface isnt flat and does have the tendency to accumilate food debris which later on turn into exudates or even later into stones due to chronic calcium deposits.

However, in a situation where post surgery, if you have been observing stone formation in the tonsillar fossa, you need to get it checked for any residual tonsillar tissue which might have been left behind from the previous surgery. If there is no tonsillar tissue left, there should be no reason for you to accumulate any sort of stones in that region.

For now you can do salt water gargles 8 to 10 times a day for atleast 1 month to see if there are any changes. If you can send us a picture of the same, we could confirm if the stones are due to tonsillar remnants or not. I hope this answers your query. If there is anything more that you need to enquire, please do let us know and we will get back to you ASAP. Warm regards!

|