Q. I have a small pea-sized lump at the back of the right tonsil and a swelling on the neck. Why?

Dr. Radhika Shukla
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 27, 2020 and last reviewed on: Nov 05, 2020

I have a swelling on the left side of my neck at the base of the jaw. It is sometimes more significant and other times smaller. I have a small pea size lump at the back of the right tonsil. It is the same color as the surrounding skin. For about six months, a strange tube-like sound is heard upon forced aspiration.

#

It seems like you have small salivary gland obstruction. Multiple salivary glands all over your mouth, secrete saliva. Sometimes they get obstructed, and saliva collects in them, leading to swelling. This is usually painless but can be felt like something different in that region. So many times while eating food, salivary glands are stimulated to produce saliva, and due to the obstruction, they grow in size. As you finish eating, the saliva slowly drains out, and the swelling subsides. That is why you feel sometimes the bump is getting smaller and sometimes bigger.

I saw your picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity); it looks like a small tonsillar cyst. It is a benign condition.

All in all, you have nothing to worry about at present. Just gargle with concentrated salt water three to four times a day. Try not to search on the internet about your symptoms; it shows you the worst possible and, most of the time, the least probable outcome.

However, I have a few questions,

• Do you have a fever?
  • Do you have a loss of weight?
  • Have you taken any previous treatment?

Ultrasonography of the neck and jaw (if it does not subside with treatment).

Tablet Clindamycin 300 mg three times a day for five days.
Tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg once a day before breakfast for five days.
Tablet Vitamin C 500 mg to chew once a day.
Tablet Paracetamol 650 mg two times a day for three days.
Chlorhexidine mouth wash three to four times a day for five days.

Thank you so much for your reply.

I will start the salt water gargling. Searching on the internet was the least helpful indeed. These swellings sometimes get bigger when I have not eaten for some time, and after eating barely there. I have no fever or weight loss and no medication, as well.

#

Good, that confirms it. Please do not be anxious about it at all. Feel free to message me ay time.

| 

Why are the tonsils swollen and have white spots?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 20 years old. I have symptoms of swollen tonsils with white spots and bumps on my throat. I went to the urgent care almost two weeks ago, and after running streptococcus and mononucleosis test, they told me that it was more likely viral tonsillitis. I am not experiencing much pain...  Read Full »

Why is there a swollen lump present on my left side of the neck?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a small swollen lump on the left side of my neck. I do not feel sick. But I feel like I have a fever and headache. My teeth look fine, and I do not have sensitivity. Can I have an infection in my teeth?  Read Full »

Why do I have a lump under the chin?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30 year old female, 5' 7", 130 lbs. Generally healthy. I have a small, but firm/rubbery lump under my chin near the front of my neck (sort of the curve where neck and chin meet). It is the size of a large pea. I have been ill with a cold this week and also have generally swolle...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»