Q. Why are there lumps in my throat even after tonsil removal?

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

I had undergone tonsil removal 25 years ago, and now for the last week, I am noticing lumps in the throat where tonsils used to be there. I could not speak of how long they may have been there. I saw them while taking a COVID antigen (Lateral flow) test. Earlier I had taken these tests but had not noticed them. I Would be keen to know if this is tonsil regrowth or if it is potentially something worth getting checked out.

In case if it is also relevant, I also have had a post-nasal drip that varies day-to-day in severity for the last seven months. I did not think much about it because I had Hay fever during that time and had taken antihistamines. I thought the Hay fever could have caused the post-nasal drip, but it has continued till now. I also suffer from acid reflux after eating certain foods. I had switched to a Mediterranean or paleo diet to see if the PND is caused by acid reflux or diet.

#

These are the remnants of the old removed tonsils. They can swell and become inflamed too. You do not need any treatment as long as these remnants are silent without pain or sore throat. The acid reflux has a significant role in your complaint. I think you need a proton pump inhibitor to decrease the acid reflux, but an internal medicine doctor should observe it. You can follow up on your throat lumps every six months for any change in size and ulceration.

Thanks for the reply. I do have a bit of a sore throat, but as mentioned, the postnasal drip has been a lot worse in the last couple of weeks. I have also been under a fair amount of stress, so I think that could be the culprit. So would you suggest if there is anything to worry about here (my main worry, of course, is some cancer)? And if I have to see my local doctor for treatment of the acid reflux or postnasal drip.

#

Do not worry about cancer at all. Your throat lumps look like benign inflammatory masses.

You can ask your local doctor for some medications for the reflux and post-nasal drip. Also, keep in mind that stress can increase acid reflux too.

|