Q. I have an ulcer on left tonsil and is painful on swallowing. Please help.

Dr. Sugreev Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 10, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 12, 2020

I have white ulceration on my left tonsil, noticed for more than a week already. Patches are also seen on the nearby structures of the left tonsil. It is slightly painful upon swallowing, especially in the morning. And whenever I try to exert effort and effortful opening of the mouth to get a good look at my problem and sometimes, it hurts for a split-second in a relaxed position. I also have occasional left ear pain that somewhat starts from the inside of the ear. I also have noticed flesh-colored bumps on the back of my throat for the past few months.

Dr. Sugreev Singh

#

I saw your picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and I am concern about you. It seems that you have got a bacterial infection and that caused tonsillitis. Or may be possible due to smoking it is not healing. And sometimes when we get oral infection pain is referred to ear. So first of all you need to stop smoking. And you should take antibiotics.

Take tablet Augmentin (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid) 625 mg twice a day after meals for five days, tablet multivitamin once a day for 10 days. Is there any pus or something coming out from ear? Please let me know.

If it does not heal by prescribed medicine, then we will go for further testings and treatment.

| 

There is no pus coming out of my ear. My only worry is my left tonsil compared to the right which looks good to me.

Dr. Sugreev Singh

#

Take this medicine for five days and let us see how it goes. Do not smoke. Otherwise, it will not heal. And if it is very painful and you are not able to eat, apply Orasore on that ulcer (Choline salicylate, Lignocaine, Benzalkonium chloride with Glycerine and Spearmint). It will give you instant relief from pain within one to two minutes.

|