Q. One tonsil is bigger than the other. Is it of concern?

Published on Mar 22, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2019

My 12 year old has one tonsil larger than the other, but no other symptoms.

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• Unilateral enlargement of tonsil is an indication for removal surgically and histopathological examination of the removed specimen. However, before I would categorically suggest that, I would like to see a picture of the tonsils. If the child can open the mouth widely and an elder can click a clear picture of the oropharynx so that one can visualize both the tonsils in the same frame, it will be really helpful.
  • Kids of this age frequently encounter sore throat and tonsillar enlargement. A mild variation in size between the two tonsils is not uncommon. Such a variation need not be a cause of worry. The kid may have symptoms of mouth breathing and teeth protrusion as well. Do revert to me with all the details and I will do my best to help you.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

What are the signs of tonsillitis?

Query: Hi doctor, My 15 year old daughter always gets sick. When I take her to the doctor, every time he used to say it as viral infection. This is the fifth time in a year she has been sick with the same symptoms. Her symptoms are cough, low fever, sore throat and yellowish white colored mucus covering h...  Read Full >>

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Let me first enlighten you about tonsils. Tonsils are a pair of soft tissues located on either side of your pharynx. They are lymphoid tissue and play an important role in immune system to fight infections and act as first line defense for throat infections. ...  Read Full

I got my tonsils removed last year. Now, I have redness on one side. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I had my tonsils removed last year. Now, on one side, I have this red area. It can get inflamed sometimes and every now and then, I get a cyst or ulcer in that area. Why is this area red and not on the other side? Is it due to a lot of blood vessels in one area that used to supply the...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have viewed the images attached by you (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The area is congested due to the blood vessels. The opposite area is also congested although not as much as the left. It is called flushing of the anterior pillars. This is chara...  Read Full

I have swollen tonsils with fever, body aches and runny nose. Why?

Query: Hello doctor,I need to know what I should do. I have been sick for four days now. I have two swollen tonsils (left side I noticed white spots on it). I have had fevers, body aches, body chills, runny or stuffy nose, vomiting and difficulty breathing.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. With the details, you have provided you seem to be suffering from acute tonsillitis. It is an infection of the tonsils and the pharynx, mostly bacterial looking at the associated symptoms you have. You must take an appropriate antibiotic for the same and in my offic...  Read Full