Q. One tonsil is bigger than the other. Is it of concern?

This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 22, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2019

My 12 year old has one tonsil larger than the other, but no other symptoms.

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• Unilateral enlargement of tonsil is an indication for removal surgically and histopathological examination of the removed specimen. However, before I would categorically suggest that, I would like to see a picture of the tonsils. If the child can open the mouth widely and an elder can click a clear picture of the oropharynx so that one can visualize both the tonsils in the same frame, it will be really helpful.
  • Kids of this age frequently encounter sore throat and tonsillar enlargement. A mild variation in size between the two tonsils is not uncommon. Such a variation need not be a cause of worry. The kid may have symptoms of mouth breathing and teeth protrusion as well. Do revert to me with all the details and I will do my best to help you.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

| 

What are the signs of tonsillitis?

Query: Hi doctor, My 15 year old daughter always gets sick. When I take her to the doctor, every time he used to say it as viral infection. This is the fifth time in a year she has been sick with the same symptoms. Her symptoms are cough, low fever, sore throat and yellowish white colored mucus covering h...  Read Full »

I got my tonsils removed last year. Now, I have redness on one side. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I had my tonsils removed last year. Now, on one side, I have this red area. It can get inflamed sometimes and every now and then, I get a cyst or ulcer in that area. Why is this area red and not on the other side? Is it due to a lot of blood vessels in one area that used to supply the...  Read Full »

I have swollen tonsils with fever, body aches and runny nose. Why?

Query: Hello doctor,I need to know what I should do. I have been sick for four days now. I have two swollen tonsils (left side I noticed white spots on it). I have had fevers, body aches, body chills, runny or stuffy nose, vomiting and difficulty breathing.  Read Full »