Q. Why am I suddenly getting tonsil stones on my left tonsil?

I have had recurrent tonsillitis for a few years. Now I have developed tonsil stones on my left tonsil quite badly, and every couple of days, if I cough too hard, the tonsil stone will dislodge and come out. My tonsils are quite big as well and sit on the back of my tongue and make me gag from time to time, especially if there is a stone there. I am finding it really uncomfortable, and I do nt know what to do anymore.

#

Please take a picture of the back of your throat with an open mouth and send it to me.

I have attached the image, and this is the best I could do.

#

The photos are absolutely conclusive (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity), and the tonsils are quite big, and we call such tonsils kissing tonsils. Considering your symptoms, you need a tonsillectomy operation. The size of the tonsils does not decrease at your age. The symptoms are quite irritating and reduce your quality of life. The surgery is very safe, and we do thousands in a year. The condition you are having is not uncommon, and we find plenty of such patients in our ENT (ear, nose, and throat) practice. Show an ENT in your country and get those removed soon.

I have told them about my symptoms before, but they refused to refer me to an ENT. This issue is not going to resolve by itself. Do you have any advice on what I could say to my doctor to get them to write me up a referral? Also, how long does it take to perform a tonsillectomy on an adult?

#

You have recurrent throat pains every few weeks, and you have to take a Z-pak or Zithromax (Azithromycin) every month as you do not get proper sleep and always have a constant sense of something stuck in the throat. Also that an ENT (ear, nose, and throat) had seen you many years before and advised a tonsillectomy operation, but then your parents did not want you to get the surgery done. Adult tonsillectomy is safe. It takes about a half-hour to do on one side. There are various improved methods these days that minimize pain and bleeding. If you want details about those, revert back, and I shall guide you.

|