Q. Why do I get recurrent tonsillitis with throat pain even after taking antibiotics?

Dr. Laxmi Narasimha G Yadav

In June, I had a bacterial infection, strep throat which I then took Penicillin for it. I did not finish the course. I stopped probably five days early. Because of this two weeks later out of no where my tonsilitis returned as the bacteria supposedly found the strength to cause pain again as it was building up for that two week period. I was prescribed more Penicillin and this time I completed the whole two week course. This was about a week and a half ago. Yet my tonsils are still quite large, though it does not cause pain, one is larger than the other. I have also noticed that the back of my throat does not look 100% healthy. I notice a tiny bit of discomfort when I swallow but not as bad as when I had full tonsilitis. I went to the GP today and they said it was nothing to worry about but I am not convinced. I was wondering if you had any comment on this and if I might have an underlying tonsil or throat health issue, should I get my tonsils removed in the future. I will attach some photos.

#

I had gone through all your history of complaints and images (attachment removed to protect patient identity) that you post can give a picture of diagnosis that pharyngotonsillitis (grade 3). Grade 3 means enlarged tonsils half of the size coming out of tonsillar fossa.

You already had enough antibiotics, so no need for antibiotics now. And the image shows no active infection foci in the throat. But there is a lot of congestion of the posterior pharyngeal wall.

If possible, can you tell me are there any nasal complaints before June and now?

Please do Hexidine mouth gargle thrice daily. Drink only lukewarm water. Avoid cold beverages and food for atleast one week. Avoid smoking if present.

There was no nasal complaints before. I think the infection just started and caused a lot of problems. I will follow your instructions.

#

If there is any pain, please take tablet Enzoheal (Trypsin, Bromelain, and Diclofenac).

|