Q. Why do I get sore throat and earache often?

Dr. Alok Rathi
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 29, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 10, 2020

I am 28 years old. I am suffering from sore throat and earache. I have white spots on the inner right side of my throat. When I eat anything chill, throat will be more painful. From childhood, I am getting the problem for at least once a year. Now, this is the second time in six weeks. Couple of weeks ago I got pink eye. Pictures attached were of my throat and medicines I am using. I am allergic to Amoxicillin and had a bad reaction called erythema nodosum.

#

• You have acute follicular tonsillitis at present and treatment right now is medicines.
  • Best treatment available for your condition would be admission and intravenous antibiotics followed by surgery tonsillectomy once infection subsides.
  • Next equal option would be oral antibiotics. As you are allergic to Amoxicillin, next drug would be Azithromycin and that is what you are taking.
  • But, at the time of starting Azithromycin, throat swab for culture sensitivity of bacteria should have been taken. This would have guided us in knowing which bacteria is causing and which drugs are effective against it.
  • If you have taken three shots of Azithromycin and no improvement in symptoms or deterioration in symptoms then visit the doctor for change of drug.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|