Q. Why do I see blood in the saliva on waking up in the morning for the past two months?

Dr. Sugreev Singh
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 13, 2020 and last reviewed on: Oct 23, 2020

I am a 20-year-old female. I am having early morning blood in saliva for the past two months. I do not have any cough, chest pain, or any other general discomfort. I suffer from allergic rhinitis and under medication. I am also having toothache in the morning just after waking up and also have some mouth sores which come and go.

Dr. Sugreev Singh

#

Thank you for writing, and I understand your concern.

As you mentioned, you have a sore throat, rhinitis, and toothache. The pain can be from gum presented inside the mouth because there are no other symptoms such as cough or chest pain.

• Can you please tell me whether there is a lot of blood or only a little?
  • Are you getting blood every day?
  • If you have throat pain, then we need to treat it with antibiotics.
  • Can you please tell me is there any visible swelling or redness inside your mouth?

Please answer so I can prescribe you the medicine accordingly.

| 

Thank you, doctor, for your reply.

There was only a bit of blood in a tiny drop in saliva. And I am not getting it everyday only once in a month in the morning after waking up. I have one sore on the left cheek, and my left upper teeth hurt after sleep.

Dr. Sugreev Singh

#

• Please take tablet Augmentin (Amoxicillin 500 mg and Clavulanic acid 125 mg) 625 mg three times a day after meal for five days.
  • Tablet Multivitamin 500 mg once a day after meal for seven days.
  • Tablet Pantop (Pantoprazole) 40 mg once a day before meal for five days.

Please let me know after five days. You can go for further testing and treatment accordingly, if needed. Otherwise, everything will be fine. Let me know if anything else.

| 

Thank you so much for your reply.

Can it be something serious, doctor?

Dr. Sugreev Singh

#

It looks like tonsillitis (bacterial infection) of mouth, which has to be treated with antibiotics; that is why I suggested you antibiotics. If you have pain, then take tablet Ibuprofen 400 mg once a day; otherwise no need. If anything else, please let me know.

|