Tonsillolith.

What is the cause for congested sinus, ear pain, tonsillolith and bad odor?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25-year-old female. I am experiencing the following symptoms: Congested sinuses for about three years. I am on Fluticasone Propionate for this purpose (two sprays, twice a day), swollen tonsils for about one and a half years, tonsilolliths sizing from about 1-2 mm for about on...  Read Full »

Dr. Prasun Mishra

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your symptoms in detail and also saw the picture that you have sent. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). We need to understand that the nose and throat are connected to the ear by eustachian tube. In your case tonsils are enlarged and hav...  Read Full »

Can tonsil stones cause an altered sense of smell?

Query: Hello doctor, I currently have tonsil stones that do not occur every day but at a rate of three to four a week. Also, I notice it does not take much for me to get hoarse and my voice cracks for no reason when talking. I have also noticed that my sense of smell is off.  Read Full »

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Otolaryngologist, Audiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Tonsil stones are a sign of chronic tonsillitis. They occur due to the accumulation of food debris in the tonsil crevices. This may be due to a tonsil infection or due to an infection from the nose. As you have mentioned that your voice cracks and there is a smell di...  Read Full »

Why are the tonsils swollen and have white spots?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 20 years old. I have symptoms of swollen tonsils with white spots and bumps on my throat. I went to the urgent care almost two weeks ago, and after running streptococcus and mononucleosis test, they told me that it was more likely viral tonsillitis. I am not experiencing much pain...  Read Full »

Dr. Baidya Nath Majhi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. After reading your symptoms and looking at your photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it is suggesting of chronic pharyngitis with chronic tonsillitis. The whitish spots over your tonsils are the food particles that clogged within the tonsillar c...  Read Full »

What are the white areas in my tonsil?

Query: Hello doctor, I am concerned about my tonsils. I honestly need them removed but have other health issues and just cannot right now. I had a cyst last year that slowly shrunk away to nothing, I have tonsil stones. The full range of issues. Right now I have these large white areas toward the bottom o...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. They are pus or keratotic patches (attachment removed to protect patient identity). If pus, then it should be painful. Most likely keratotic patches over the tonsil. Can you take pictures where both tonsils can be visualized? Do you have such spots on the other tonsil a...  Read Full »

Can asymmetry of tonsils be the sign of cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, My tonsils are not symmetrical. I first noticed just two months ago that my right tonsil looks like a kidney bean with a small hole on top while my left tonsil looks oval in shape with a much larger hole. My right tonsil looks like there is a lump of the bottom of it. I am 28 years ol...  Read Full »

Dr. Dheeraj Kumar Jonnalagadda

ENT Otolaryngologist, Allergy Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Tonsils are our lymphoid organs which protect us from infections. The shape of tonsil can vary from person to person and asymmetrical shapes are not at all indicators for cancer. The holes you mentioned are called crypts which lodges food particles which can form stones...  Read Full »

Why do I always get blocked nose once I come home?

Query: Hi doctor, For around six months, I am suffering with my nose allergy. When I go outside for a drive or something, I am fine without any problem with my nose. But, once I come home from outside, it is difficult for me to break by nose. I get blocked nose sometime one side nose and sometime both side...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are happy to help you. Looking at the photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and with the description you have given I can understand how agonizing it is for you with these problems. According to my assessment you suffer from allergic rhinitis and c...  Read Full »

What is the small yellow bump above my tonsil?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a small round yellow bump or circle on the back of the arch, right above my tonsil. It is there for a month. It does not show any changes. I do not have any symptoms or soreness.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It appears like a small cyst. There can be a fluid collection inside the minor salivary gland. You need not worry about it as it goes down on its own. However, if you have any symptoms,...  Read Full »

I have a lump in my tonsil area. Is that a cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I have one white lump around the tonsil area in my throat. It has been there a good few months now and the area is swollen. Is this cancer?  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Cancer cannot be diagnosed by inspection only. To exclude tonsillar stone you have to perform lateral neck X-ray and show me it later on. I advise you to use a mouthwash and gargle your pharynx then expectorate it many times during the day for a week. Then if the white ...  Read Full »

I have a yellowish pus sac on my tonsil. What could it be?

Query: Hello doctor,I have a yellowish pus sac on my tonsils left side which I noticed a few days ago. A doctor says he thinks it is ectopic, I do not know what that is, but I can submit to you a picture of the spot on my tonsils. I have a good picture of it. I was sick about a month ago with a fever for a...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to iciniq.com. I have seen the image (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The yellowish pus sac is a tonsil stone, known as tonsillolith. It occurs due to the accumulation of tonsillar secretions and some minerals inside the tonsillar crypt and obstruction to its free f...  Read Full »

What is the white lesion in my mouth?

Query: Hello doctor, I have one white lesion in my mouth. I do not know whether it is painful or not because it is very deep and also, how long it has been there. Kindly guide me and also tell me if there is any need to worry or it is just only aphthous ulcer. I am not sexually active since 1.5 years. I d...  Read Full »

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Otolaryngologist, Audiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the pictures attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You are probably having a tonsillolith. It occurs in chronic tonsillitis. It is not an ulcerative lesion at all. There is nothing to be worried about. Use Hexidine gargles. For more inf...  Read Full »