Tonsillolith.

Can you explain what the hole present in the back wall of my son's mouth is?

Query: Hello doctor, My 8 year old son has a small hole in the back wall of his mouth. He has seen a number of GPs and consultants. None of them know what it is or can explain it. They are not going to continue to review it as they say it is not a problem. I would like to know how what it is and if anythi...  Read Full »

Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your description, the hole seems to release tonsil stones. In that case, it must be a tonsillar crypt. The hole is in the anterior pillar. Usually, tonsillar crypts open into the oropharynx area behind the pillar and not through the pillar. And, I can see enlarged...  Read Full »

My throat feels sore and my tonsil seems slightly larger on the left side. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a slight sore throat on the left side, my tonsil on that side seems slightly larger, it looks like tonsillitis, and I also have some teardrop-shaped swellings on the arch in front of the tonsil. I do have sore mouth regularly due to hypothyroidism. I am most concerned about the bu...  Read Full »

Dr. Fazil Shajahan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, do not worry, it is a minor condition of tonsils. It can be tonsilloliths or just crypts filled with debris. If the pain increases, I suggest antibiotics like tablet Amoxiclav 625 mg (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid) twice daily. Kindly maintain you...  Read Full »

I have been suffering from a sore throat on and off for the past three months. Can it be cancer?

Query: Hi doctor,I have been suffering from a sore throat on and off for the past three months. I took Lansoprazole for two months. Alcohol seems to make it worse. It is only painful while swallowing some food; soft food is fine. The tonsil area seems to have no visible stones or redness. One side of my ea...  Read Full »

Dr. Sukhdev Garg

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for writing in, and I understand your concern. Regarding your query, it seems you have tonsillitis, or it may be tonsillolith which is a stone in the tonsil. Would you please check if you also have halitosis that is bad breath despite good oral hygiene, which is...  Read Full »

I have a white spot on my tonsil, but it is painless. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a small white nodule on my right tonsil. I have often suffered from tonsillitis and have had an enlarged right tonsil for more than ten years. It is painless and appears suddenly. I have no other symptoms. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your history and picture (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity) show either white pus in the tonsillar crypt, tonsillolith (formed by deposition of food debris or dead cell or calcium deposition), or keratosis. You do not have to worry. For now, I su...  Read Full »

After having a throat infection, I have some alterations in my taste. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old female. I was at my local out of hours service this morning with an extremely painful and swollen throat. I was told I had a severe case of tonsillitis. I have been given antibiotics. Since then I feel a poison taste running down my throat and had a bit of a relief of p...  Read Full »

Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.om. The feeling that something burst and having poison taste in the mouth will be most probably due to release of tonsillolith (tonsil stone) from the tonsillar fossa and associated pus and mucus that come along with the stone. I suggest you antiseptic gargles like Betadine...  Read Full »

How are tonsil stones formed?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had some pus leaking in my throat behind my left tonsil for quite some time now, and I had tonsil stones. Sometimes it feels like my throat is closing, and it is hard to breathe. It is hard to swallow and feels like somethings are stuck in my throat like pus or tonsil stones. I...  Read Full »

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your tonsils look inflamed, and a tonsil stone is noted on the left tonsil (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Different debris types, such as dead cells, mucus, saliva, and food, get trapped over the tonsil and get calcified. Bacterial infection over t...  Read Full »

How to get rid of tonsil stones with sore throat and bad breath?

Query: Hello doctor, I think I have tonsil stones. I have little white things in my tonsil pockets. When I cough them up or manage to get them out, they are whitish or yellowish hard clumps. I have mild sore throats all the time, bad breath (I brush my teeth constantly and I make sure I do not eat food th...  Read Full »

Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You suffer from tonsilloliths. Tonsils which are lymphoid organs in the throat produce secretions through the crypts in them. In a few people, these secretions calcify and become stones (called tonsilloliths). In a vast majority of people it stays asymptomatic, howev...  Read Full »

What is the cause for congested sinus, ear pain, tonsillolith and bad odor?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25-year-old female. I am experiencing the following symptoms: Congested sinuses for about three years. I am on Fluticasone Propionate for this purpose (two sprays, twice a day), swollen tonsils for about one and a half years, tonsilolliths sizing from about 1-2 mm for about on...  Read Full »

Dr. Prasun Mishra

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your symptoms in detail and also saw the picture that you have sent. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). We need to understand that the nose and throat are connected to the ear by eustachian tube. In your case tonsils are enlarged and hav...  Read Full »

Can tonsil stones cause an altered sense of smell?

Query: Hello doctor, I currently have tonsil stones that do not occur every day but at a rate of three to four a week. Also, I notice it does not take much for me to get hoarse and my voice cracks for no reason when talking. I have also noticed that my sense of smell is off.  Read Full »

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Tonsil stones are a sign of chronic tonsillitis. They occur due to the accumulation of food debris in the tonsil crevices. This may be due to a tonsil infection or due to an infection from the nose. As you have mentioned that your voice cracks and there is a smell di...  Read Full »

Why are the tonsils swollen and have white spots?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 20 years old. I have symptoms of swollen tonsils with white spots and bumps on my throat. I went to the urgent care almost two weeks ago, and after running streptococcus and mononucleosis test, they told me that it was more likely viral tonsillitis. I am not experiencing much pain...  Read Full »

Dr. Baidya Nath Majhi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. After reading your symptoms and looking at your photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it is suggesting of chronic pharyngitis with chronic tonsillitis. The whitish spots over your tonsils are the food particles that clogged within the tonsillar c...  Read Full »