Tooth Abscess

How to prevent infection in tooth cavity?

Query: Hello doctor, In my whole life I am known for eating candy and not brushing my teeth as much as I should. Today, I went to the dentist and said that I have nine cavities. This concerns me because I am not sure how long I had the cavities. This is my first time I am visiting a dentist. I read an a...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentist, Endodontist, Pedodontist, Periodontist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, by getting the tooth filled you can prevent further decay of the teeth. It would prevent any spread of infection. Yes, dental infection can get life-threatening through septicemia (bacteria in blood), which can go through the maxillary sinus to the brain. But, it ha...  Read Full »

Re-treatment with root canal vs. extraction. Which is better?

Query: Hi doctor, I have infection on tooth number 14. I have been thinking about extraction versus retreatment. It is an 11 years old root canal treated tooth. A crown was placed on it 2 years ago. After that, once in a while it happened to become sore. Two months ago, another crown was placed on my low...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Menon

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for sending across the x-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity). One of the roots has a huge abscess. The reason is that, it is only half filled. Half of the infected pulp is still inside. This actually can be retreated. But, it might require more ...  Read Full »

Will Flucloxacillin help tooth abscess?

Query: Hello doctor, Will Flucloxacillin help in tooth abscess?  Read Full »

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. 1. Flucloxacillin and Amoxicillin are all the drugs falling under the Penicillin group, and basically, these are all the antibiotics which fight against bacterial infection. 2. Metronidazole is again an antibiotic on its own. 3. Yes, these medications will help to ...  Read Full »

Can Ciprofloxacin be taken for a dental abscess?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a patient with a fresh knee replacement, and of course takes premedication Amoxicillin 2g, one-hour pretreatment. She now has a tooth abscess, and I want to give her antibiotics. My thought is, since she has to always use Penicillin as a pre-medication, I would change the antibi...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com.I have read through your query in detail. Please find my observations below. Amoxicillin is still a better antibiotic for a dental abscess as compared to other medicines. It is the first choice of medicine even for a dental abscess. It is better to continue with am...  Read Full »

I have an abscessed tooth with swollen face. Is it serious?

Query: Hello doctor, I have an abscessed tooth and have been on antibiotics for three days. I woke up this morning with an extremely swollen face, should I go to the ER?  Read Full »

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your question and I can understand your concern about your toothache and facial swelling. You need IV (intravenous) route antibiotics like Ceftriaxone one gram after allergic test and for that, you must visit either a dentist or an emergency room. Af...  Read Full »

Why has tooth abscess not gone away even after taking medicines?

Query: Hello doctor, I went to my dentist a few days back with the discovery of an abscess which was connected to a broken tooth. It then spread to my cheek and got swollen. I am on Amoxicillin and Flagyl for five days. Today is my last day. Unfortunately, the swelling has not entirely decreased, I am sti...  Read Full »

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through your question and I can understand your concern. It looks like the infection is over if there is no pus and pain anymore. The swelling if hard remains there is called antibioma and it may take some time to get fully over and will not need any further an...  Read Full »

I have a tooth filling that has come out with a lump in the gum. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a tooth filling that has come out, and woke with a white lump beneath it on gum, swollen lower face too on the other side of the site of lump. I had a dull, drumming pain during the night before. I rinsed with warm salt water this morning. Wondering if Flucloxacillin 500 mg whi...  Read Full »

Dr. Sangeetha Bastan

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your tooth is probably infected which has caused the white lump on your gums. The decay has gone inside the pulp, almost touching your nerve and there is infection beneath the root of your teeth which has caused this swelling. You will have to confirm the status of your t...  Read Full »

What is the reason for recurrent abscess in a filled tooth?

Query: Hi doctor, I had an infection in my tooth and it was treated with a filling after a course of antibiotics. After the filling, an abscess reoccurred twice which was treated with antibiotics. It seemed to settle for a while and then I could feel a pain and pressure inside the tooth. Now a small pimpl...  Read Full »

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your question. I can understand your concern. As per your history, it seems to me that you are having recurrent apical periodontitis. If the filling is still there, it needs to be removed. The recurrent apical abscess is because of this infectious to...  Read Full »

Tooth pain and a white lump on my upper gum

Query: Hello doctor,I recently started having tooth pain and it has not gone away. I do have a white lump on my upper gum but I have had it for a while. Sometimes, it goes away and then comes back. My tooth pain almost feels like a cavity but I am not sure.  Read Full »

Dr. Divya Banu M

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems your tooth is having a chronic abscess due to infection reaching the pulp and beyond the roots of the tooth and the white swelling is an abscess. I suggest you consult your dentist who will take an X-ray of the tooth and will confirm the diagnosis and explai...  Read Full »

Can tooth abscess spread throughout the body?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 26 years old female. I have an abscess in my tooth for over a year now. I am getting it infected for the second time now. The previous infection was before six months. It is present at the bottom of one of my lower molars. It hurts me a lot. How long will it take to spread throughou...  Read Full »

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is a less chance to have the infection spreading to the whole body. But, sometimes, it happens when the swelling gets increased and when the fever becomes uncontrollable for two to three days. There is a chance to have a cystic lesion due to the chronic infection....  Read Full »