Q. How can large tooth cavity be treated?

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

I am going to the dentist soon and I know I have a cavity and I think it is pretty big- it is easily noticeable. And I am just nervous because it is probably obvious that I do not brush- the bristles are always a really weird texture for me and I just do not want anyone to be mad at me because I have known about it for a while now (I feel bad for saying this, but I think it has been around six months) and never mentioned it to anyone because I am little scared of going to the dentist. I do not like anyone feeling around in my mouth and knowing about this cavity is making me even more nervous for going there today. I have had teeth pulled in the past and I hate everything about it, but I am not sure they could just fill in this cavity.

#

As a human we all carry some kinds of secrets or fear back in our head. I felt glad as you have the courage to admit that, most people cannot. So be proud of that. I think you need a scaling too, as you have not brushed for a long time its leads to swollen gingiva that might be the reason of uncomfortable using a brush.

As you have caries and sensitivity associated, you might not necessarily need an extraction. If the caries has progressed alot, root canal can be done to save your tooth. Betadine Mouthwash, Gargle in lukewarm water 2-3 times a day. Do not worry, use it, if any foul breath that will be covered and your secret will be safe. As you feel uncomfortable using a brush, you can brush using your finger and toothpaste. That way your mouth will also be clean and issue with bristle will also be resolved.

You can also take capsule Sporidex 500 mg one apsule BD for 5 days, tablet Zerodol SP 1 tablet BD for 5 days, capsule Pan D one capsule BD before meal for 5 days.

You will be needing a scaling to remove any tartar. Once done you can start practising brushing using a soft bristle brush (even a baby brush will do for a start). I am confident you will succeed. But you have to start the habit and you will get used to it, trust me. You can train and motivate yourself by rewarding a candy or anything special. By that way you can overcome your fear and gain comfidence. I am glad that I could be someone whom you can share a secret. I wish you good luck. You can trust me and ask if any further query. I will be happy to help further. Hope your treatment goes fine. Do as I asked you to do. You are brave, you will be fine. I am confident about that.

| 

Tooth filling got chipped off and now I have sensitivity. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I had braces and got them off and two tooth (upper left, last two) had a gap. My dentist said my filling also chipped from the removal and decided to redo the filling. Afterwards I experienced pain. Like sharp pain from eating hard things like chips, grainy things that went into the g...  Read Full »

Is it okay to get tooth filled without getting it cleaned post-five-day prescription of tablets?

Query: Hello doctor, Is it okay to get a tooth cavity filled without getting it cleaned post-five-day prescription of two tablets? Does this have consequences?  Read Full »

Please suggest a way to get instant relief from sensitive teeth.

Query: Hi doctor,I have tooth sensitivity problem. I am suffering from this problem since last two months. I am unable to drink water also. I tried many sensitivity toothpastes, but it does not work properly. Please suggest me a proper drug or suggestion for instant relief.  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»