Q. Used toothpick to clear food in tooth cavity and got pain with swelling. Please help.

Dr. Bharat Joshi

I am suffering from a cavity in a tooth on the left upper jaw. Last night, I felt pain in the affected tooth after having dinner and I used a toothpick for clearing up any clogged food particle, but the pain kept increasing. I used clove oil but it did not provide any relief. The increasing pain has caused substantial swelling in my left cheek. I have consumed Brufen 600 for temporary relief from pain, but the swelling is still there and pain resumes once the effect of medicine subsides. Please help.

#

Thanks for the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It seems to be irreversible pulpitis. Have you taken only Ibuprofen or some other medicines also? Do you have any allergy to Amoxicillin and Diclofenac? Please confirm so that I can prescribe antibiotics and analgesics.

Proximal caries and infection.

X-ray.

Space infection.

Irreversible pulpitis.

I have not taken any other medicine, and as far as allergy is concerned, I do not have any. I request your kind guidance as I want to avoid any visit to the dentist due to the increasing cases of Coronavirus.

#

Thank you for clearing my doubts. Take Amoxicillin 500 mg along with Diclofenac 50 mg for five days. Amoxicillin 500 mg twice daily and Diclofenac sodium sos i.e. once a day and on the night. The next day take painkiller only if pain is there. Perform warm saline rinses six-hourly from today. Take medicines only after eating food.

Avoid taking medicines empty stomach.

After five days.

|