Tooth Decay

The softening of the tooth enamel caused by permanent damage due to bacteria producing acids is called tooth decay. When you eat sugary food, the bacteria in the mouth break down the sugar and produce acid, which demineralizes the tooth surface resulting in a cavity. Some of the factors that increase the risk of tooth decay are dry mouth, poor oral hygiene, frequent snacking, eating sticky foods, etc.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Even after taking prescribed medicines, my sore throat and tooth pain has not subsided. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have had a recurrent sore throat for which I am taking Montair FX and had courses of antibiotics. I had no fever so I was not recommended COVID test. The reason was given as reflux so I started the medicine and raised my bed. However, for the last 10-15 days or so I am having sever...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentist, Endodontist, Pedodontist, Periodontist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to The prescription contains only a multivitamin capsule (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You need antibiotics like Amoxicillin-CV 625 mg three times a day for a week along with a strong painkiller. Get the decayed wisdom teeth extracted as it is bett...  Read Full »

Is root canal the correct treatment option for an infected tooth?

Query: Hi doctor, I had my lower right side first molar extraction about a month ago. My dentist prescribed a course of antibiotics. The pain persisted after I finished the course of antibiotics and so the dentist again prescribed a five day antibiotic course. A week went by with no pain and then the pain ...  Read Full »

Dr. Nupur Prashant Shah


Answer: Hi, Welcome to I can understand your concern regarding to dental health. First of all, I would like to suggest you go for a clinical examination of an affected area. If there is a¬†presence of plaque or calculus near the second molar of lower right side, then go for scaling. If there is...  Read Full »

Will a general dentist be able to replace braces and do filling?

Query: Hi doctor, I have fillings on the buccal surface of some of my upper incisors and regular metal braces attached currently. I believe when I chewed some crackers one of my fillings got loosened. I can feel pain and sensation from exposure to water. However, as my braces are still attached I cannot tr...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Menon


Answer: Hi, Welcome to You have to visit your orthodontist first. The filling has to be replaced soon and it should not be delayed. It might be possible for the orthodontist himself to fill the cavity without removing the braces. If not, then he can remove them and put a new archwire. General d...  Read Full »

Why do I get pain in my decayed tooth even after filling?

Query: Hello doctor, I had tooth decay and got it fixed at my dentist. After that, I started feeling pain and my dentist told me it is because of the sinus, I started using salt sprays. After a few days, I could still feel the pain. Yet he did an x-ray and could not figure out what is wrong but I am still ...  Read Full »

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

Dentist, Endodontist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Yes, you are certainly correct. Do warm saline gargle three to four times a day. Your dentist should have taken an x-ray before filling it. Please take tablet Sporidex (Cephalexin) 500 mg 1 tablet twice after meals for five days, Metrogyl ER 1 tablet twice after me...  Read Full »

Why do I get pain in lower teeth with gum recession and redness in tongue?

Query: Hello doctor, I have pain in the gums and lower teeth. I also note some redness at the base of the tongue. Please suggest.  Read Full »

Dr. Sonali Kinikar


Answer: Hello, Welcome to I read your query and also saw the image you had sent. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You have pain in the gums and teeth, also redness at the base of the tongue. Causes for the gum pain are: 1. Improper oral hygiene because of which you have gu...  Read Full »

What is the solution for pain in the lower left tooth?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a problem with the second last toothache of left side lower jaw and also headache. What can be the problem? And the medicine used by me does not give me any relief Mox 500, Limcee, Oxalgin. (twice daily for three days). Then the other dentists suggested me these medicine Ordent...  Read Full »

Dr. Beryl Fredrick


Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have gone through your query and understood your concern. Unfortunately, taking medicines is not a permanent solution to dental pain. There are several factors that cause dental pain and associated headache. The most common cause is tooth decay. However, a clear ...  Read Full »

How to treat teeth that are infected and pain every six months?

Query: hi, male, age 36, i have 2sides bottom big teeth its infected completely, every six months i get severe ache, the teeth is hallow, do i need to close the gap what do u suggest. this teeth is infected almost 6years above i hope. but recently since a 20days the tooth ache is severe. bottom end munchi...  Read Full »

Dr. Beryl Fredrick


Answer: Hello, I have gone through your query and understood your concern. A clear clinical picture or an x-ray of the teeth will help determine the present condition and the extent of the decay. This tells whether the teeth can be saved with a root canal treatment or it needs to be extracted. If this pai...  Read Full »

Should a tooth crown be replaced after 9 years?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 24 years old. I had my tooth crowned before nine years. I have no problem with it, but a dentist wants me to get a crown replacement. I do not even feel any discomfort. Is it necessary to replace?  Read Full »

Dr. Neeraj Kumari


Answer: Hi, Welcome to Most crowns can last up to 15 years depending on the type of material used for making crown. Sometimes, crown replacement is neccessary when there is excessive wear or fracture in crown or there are complications due to tooth decay. So, if that is the reason why that dent...  Read Full »

Why do I have swelling behind my last tooth?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a slight swelling on the skin in my mouth near my back teeth. It is slightly bigger than the other side. It has been there since three days. Though it does not hurt, there is some irritation when I eat or drink. I am not aware whether I bumped it while brushing. If so, then it ...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentist, Endodontist, Pedodontist, Periodontist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I think you are having infection in the area and it got swollen. It may be due to food impaction or decay in the area. You should ask your dentist to either do a small surgery to remove the inflamed flap or just some cleaning of the area might be enough...  Read Full »

How can black spot in teeth be treated?

Query: Hello doctor, Just yesterday I discovered that my front tooth looks a bit black and then I decided to look behind that tooth. I found out that there is a black spot between two teeth behind. And I have not seen it before I was a bit shocked to find that out. I am a student and cannot afford to ...  Read Full »

Dr. Beryl Fredrick


Answer: Hello, Welcome to I understand your concern. The most common cause of black spots on tooth is cavity or tooth decay. Unfortunately, there is not any medicines or home remedy that could stop the progression or cure tooth decay. This can only be done by a dental treatment. Tooth has thr...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours
Chat with a Doctor

Chat with a Doctor

Starting @ just $29.99

Search for a Health Issue


Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.