Q. I have a decayed tooth and swollen cheek. How to manage?

Dr. Tinu Thampy
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 26, 2017 and last reviewed on: May 06, 2021

Yesterday I visited my dentist for a decayed tooth and infected gums. The dentist failed to extract the tooth, as Novocaine did not work because of the infection. Now my cheek is swollen and painful. I was prescribed Amoxicillin and Vicodin.

#

• The swelling of your cheek is due to infection extending from your tooth and root apex into the underlying bone and the facial surface and has reached the soft tissues (muscle and fat).
  • This infection can spread further to the adjacent areas and cause bacteremia (bacteria in the blood) and complications in breathing.
  • I would suggest you get the infected tooth extracted before the antibiotic course gets completed, as the swelling will not come down without removing the cause.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|