Is RCT required to treat pain in the lower teeth?

Q. My tooth hurts. Should I undergo an RCT?

Answered by
Dr. Tinu Thampy
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 14, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 14, 2023

Hello doctor,

I have tooth pain, and the dentist has suggested a root canal treatment be done on one of the lower teeth based on the x-ray attached. Do any of the lower teeth require a root canal treatment in your opinion?



Welcome to

When there is a tooth pain, it means that the infection has reached the pulp of the tooth. The pulp of the tooth is the innermost part of the tooth where the blood vessels and the nerves are present. In the crown portion of the tooth, it is called pulp chamber, and in the root portion, it is called as a root canal.Once the infection has reached the pulp, it will involve both the pulp chamber as well as the root canal, and it spreads to the tissues below the tooth. The treatment is, to remove the infected tissues and clean the root canal and pulp chamber. This is known as a root canal treatment. I have seen your x-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity). From this x-ray, the right side first molar appears to be the tooth of concern and needs a root canal procedure. The radiograph (x-ray) is additional to a clinical examination. Radiograph alone is not conclusive for a diagnosis. Changes in angulation of x-ray machine or position of the patient can cause overlapping of images of adjacent structures, giving a false diagnosis.

Hello doctor,

Thanks for replying. My dentist is suggesting a root canal procedure for the third tooth from the left in the lower jaw. Do you see anything in that tooth?



Welcome back to

  • This x-ray is called an orthopantomogram (OPG). It is a panoramic radiograph which has so many adjacent structures overlapping on each other in the image. This radiograph is used for getting a gross idea regarding bone structure, the position of the tooth, presence of any pathology, etc.
  • For inspection of individual tooth, an intraoral periapical (IOPA) radiograph would be helpful. If you have persistent tooth pain, you may need a root canal procedure in that tooth. Without knowing the tooth number in which you have the pain, I am unable to differentiate the decay lines from artifacts or overlapping shadows.
  • So, please attach the IOPA of the particular tooth that your dentist suggests treatment for, so that I can give you the treatment plan.

Revert with more information to a maxillofacial prosthodontist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Two of my wisdom teeth are impacted. Is it better to remove?

Cavities or tooth decay is chronic infections that spread further at a slow rate in most cases ... Could this possibly be due to the cavities or the wisdom tooth ...   Read full

After RCT treatment, how did the infection get spread to the jaw?

I was told that the tooth was infected and going through with the procedure would be my best ... When I called up my dentist, he said that he has to remove the cap and the tooth as the infection   Read full

Can root canal treatment be done on a small kid?

Also, use a good toothpaste to prevent further cavities ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Maxillofacial Prosthodontist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.