Q. What is the cause for toothache after eating?

Dr. Shwetha Hegde
Published on Mar 07, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 01, 2019

I am a 23 year old female. Few weeks earlier, I had tooth pain after eating. Yesterday, I had acute pain in the tooth. I have attached the OPG scan for your reference. I would like to know, from the OPG, what is your opinion about the extent of decay? And also I would like to know about the possible diagnosis. Thank you.

#

Before I answer, I would like to point out a few issues here. You have not mentioned the location of your tooth pain, whether it is on the right or left side. The right and left indicator on the orthopantomograph (OPG) are not visible on the scanned image. So, I am going to describe the findings as I see it.

To my right and left, I can see there is decay in two upper molar teeth. Upper third tooth from my right and the upper third tooth from my left.The decay in the upper right first molar appears to be deep. Depending on the symptoms, if you have acute pain that is unchanged, persistent and disturbs your sleep, then the tooth will require root canal treatment (RCT).

This is because the nerve of the tooth (pulp) has been involved by the decay. If the RCT is started right away, the tooth can be saved. The decay in the upper left molar tooth is moderately deep and can be filled, if you get it done right away. If delayed, then the decay is likely to progress and involve the nerve of the tooth (pulp), then root canal treatment would be the only option to save the tooth.

Is it fine to get my wisdom tooth out when I do not have pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I had done an OPG. My dentist is saying to remove the wisdom tooth on the lower side of the jaws on both the sides. I do not have pain in the wisdom tooth. But I feel pain in the left side molar. My doctor has advised for RCT for that molar tooth after removing the wisdom tooth present o...  Read Full »

My teeth still pain after a fluoride varnish. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I had gone to a dentist. He applied fluoride varnish paste on my teeth saying that the cavities are very small. But my teeth are still paining. What to do?  Read Full »

Can root canal treatment be done on a small kid?

Query: Hello doctor, My 2-1/2-year-old son has a problem with four teeth (front, above) and doctors are suggesting RCT (root canal treatment). Here are my questions. Can RCT be done for such a small child? Will it affect his next teeth at around 7 years of age? Is there any alternate for RCT ...  Read Full »