Q. I have a lot of pain in my erupting left lower wisdom tooth. Any suggestions?

Dr. Honey Nandwani
and medically reviewed by Dr.Sowmiya
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 19, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jan 11, 2022

I have a cluster of white rings near a tooth on the roof of my mouth. My left lower wisdom tooth is coming out, and I have a failed root canal on the same side as the wisdom tooth. I am in a lot of pain, and I cannot eat. I keep biting my cheeks because the left side is swollen. Any suggestions or tips on how to help myself till I go back to see my dentist?

#

White rings can be due to ulceration or traumatic injury. A clinical examination is a must for ruling out what exactly it is. For the wisdom tooth, I think it is pericoronitis, that is, the inflammation of the gum flap around the wisdom tooth. I would suggest anti-inflammatory painkillers like Ibuprofen, do antiseptic mouthwash gargles, and warm saline gargles for the pain. Once you can see your dentist, get an x-ray done, and treatment can be planned accordingly. If the wisdom tooth is impacted, then removing the wisdom tooth is the best way to resolve the pain permanently.

Please upload your x-ray to guide you on how to proceed with the treatment in the most appropriate way. I hope this helps.

|