Q. My daughter is 13 and her canine has not come down yet. Why?

Dr. Prerna Jain
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 15, 2017 and last reviewed on: Mar 20, 2021

My daughter got her canine tooth pulled when she was around 10 and it has been three years. The tooth has not come down yet, but she can feel it from the front of the gums, but not the bottom. She got braces in before a year and we asked our orthodontist about it. He has been putting on a spring to make room for it, but there is almost room for two teeth. What do I do? When will it come out?

#

• The timeline, the treatment plan sounds right. The space created seems much more.
  • It is normal to create a little more space than the actual size of the tooth, to allow the tooth to come down easier and usually when spring is removed there is a fast relapse of the space created and hence the extra space.
  • About the tooth not coming down yet, I cannot comment on when and how without looking at pictures and x-ray.
  • Sometimes, if the tooth seems to be non-responsive, then we access it by making some tissue cuts surgically and placing a bracket on it and then pulling it down.

For further doubts consult an orthodontist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthodontist

|