iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersDentistrytooth extractionHow do I replace a lower second molar after its extraction?

Can braces replace the space created by the extraction of a molar?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At March 16, 2023
Reviewed AtMarch 16, 2023

Patient's Query

How do I replace a lower second molar being extracted? They told me the solution was autotransplantation. What should I do? Can braces fix this problem if they extract this second and third molar? Can braces replace this space? Kindly suggest.

As you have lost your second molar tooth. The second molar is the most important tooth for grinding our food. This is good that you have a third molar; with the support of the first and third molar, you can go for a three-unit dental bridge. The second option is a dental implant. It is the best option, and there is no need for the support of neighboring teeth. But it may be more costly than a dental bridge. Third, as you ask about braces, but sorry that braces are not ideal for filling the gap of posterior-most molar teeth. You should go with either a dental bridge or a dental implant. I hope this helps you.

The Probable causes

Missing tooth.

Differential diagnosis

Missing second molar.

Probable diagnosis

Missing tooth.

Treatment plan

FPD (fixed partial denture) or dental Implant.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Gaurav Kumar Pandey
Dr. Gaurav Kumar Pandey

Dentistry

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Dentistry

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy