Q. How long does a tooth extraction site take to heal?

Dr. Naveen Thomas

My right and left upper fourth teeth (14 and 24) were removed one week ago. The pain level is moderate, there is not much bleeding, gums are not swollen or painful, it is not red, but I can feel some discomfort. This is my first experience with extractions, and I am unsure about the healing after two days. One socket is completely closed, while the other has something that looks like a mold beside the blood clot. I cannot describe it clearly.

I do not take any antibiotics as my doctor said it is not necessary. I take painkillers when it is needed. I am gently rinsing my mouth with warm salted water a few times take it seriously to maintain hygiene. I am eating soft foods like soups and mashed vegetables. I do not drink alcohol or soft drinks, and I do not smoke.

Kindly help.

#

The mold you are referring to is the blood clot inside the wound. The blood clot appears greyish-yellow inside the mouth due to constant salivation, and it is perfectly normal. Not to touch the wound with anything for a couple of days to allow better healing. Continue saline gargle twice a day, and do not worry as it appears like a normal healing wound.

|