Q. What could be the reason for pain in the filled tooth?

Dr. Smitha Yalavarthy

My 7-year-old child had a small filling about a month ago in his top premolar (baby tooth). Two weeks later he said it hurts a little when biting and with temperature. I have taken him to two different pediatric dentists who did X-rays and did not see any cracks in the filling or infection. Occlusion was also checked, and the tooth was polished down a bit. He still complains of minor pain in the tooth when biting hot and cold.

#

Firstly it is not a premolar but a deciduous molar, as premolars are absent in baby's dentition. And please check if the baby is having sensitivity or pain. There is a small difference between the two, which we can differentiate while a baby cannot. If the cavity is deep then even after a filling, the tooth turns out to be sensitive for hot or cold foods. If this is the case apply some desensitizing toothpaste on that tooth only two minutes before brushing and then brush his tooth with his regular toothpaste.

If in case he is having very bad pain which he cannot bear then go for a root canal treatment as that tooth has to be there in the oral cavity till 12 years. I hope this would help you. Please help.

| 

I have swollen gums with sharp pain while eating or drinking. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor, My tooth hurts anytime I eat or drink. It feels hot. I feel hot, it is sharp pain that does not go away. My gums are swollen.  Read Full »

Are my lips raw and swollen due to allergy from tooth fillings?

Query: Hello doctor,I am having lots of problems in my mouth and the VA clinic is struggling to help me. I am a 36 year old male and have no significant health issues besides this. I am really struggling because my lips are constantly raw, peeling, and swollen. They also burn and hurt almost always. I have...  Read Full »

How can I get rid of pain caused by broken tooth?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having acute pain in gum and tooth on the left-hand side and a few days ago the left back corner tooth broke. Kindly suggest me how can I get rid of this pain and strengthen my teeth as it broke without and proper reason. Dentist advised me to take antibiotics for five days but i...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»