Q. What could be the reason for pain in the filled tooth?

Dr. Smitha Yalavarthy

My 7-year-old child had a small filling about a month ago in his top premolar (baby tooth). Two weeks later he said it hurts a little when biting and with temperature. I have taken him to two different pediatric dentists who did X-rays and did not see any cracks in the filling or infection. Occlusion was also checked, and the tooth was polished down a bit. He still complains of minor pain in the tooth when biting hot and cold.

#

Firstly it is not a premolar but a deciduous molar, as premolars are absent in baby's dentition. And please check if the baby is having sensitivity or pain. There is a small difference between the two, which we can differentiate while a baby cannot. If the cavity is deep then even after a filling, the tooth turns out to be sensitive for hot or cold foods. If this is the case apply some desensitizing toothpaste on that tooth only two minutes before brushing and then brush his tooth with his regular toothpaste.

If in case he is having very bad pain which he cannot bear then go for a root canal treatment as that tooth has to be there in the oral cavity till 12 years. I hope this would help you. Please help.

|