Q. How do I overcome the pain felt in my restored molar teeth?

Dr. Beryl Fredrick

I recently removed some cavities in my right upper molar and filled them with a metal filling. When I bite something hard, it hurts. When I eat something too hot or too cold, it also hurts. Will that pain go away? Please help.

#

I understand your concern.

The tooth has three layers, outer enamel, dentin, and inner nerve layer. Fillings involving the topmost enamel layer will usually be asymptomatic after treatment. However, mild to moderate pain or discomfort may be present in some fillings during chewing. This is because an extra layer of filling over the tooth gives more force during chewing. A polishing procedure can remove that layer. Pain resolves on doing a bite check and polishing procedure. If there is lots of dental decay or a deep cavity, a deep dentinal filling will be done, which approximates the nerve layer.

Sometimes this deep filling involves the nerve layer causing pain and tooth sensitivity. This pain will usually be a sharp, lancinating pain. If this is the scenario, the tooth may require a root canal and crown procedure. Please consult your dentist to know what is causing your pain and get it treated.

I hope this helps you.

Kind regards.

|