Toothache

Why does my tooth hurt after biting something hard?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 12 years old. He bit a cookie yesterday, and it has hit his tooth. Now, he has a pain in the tooth. What to do now?  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentist, Endodontist, Pedodontist, Periodontist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If it is a permanent tooth then, wait for a day or two. If there is no sign of any visible fracture line, allow them to heal after sudden blunt trauma. On considering his age, if it is a milk tooth, then it has to be removed. If there is a pain, then consult a dentist s...  Read Full »

I get pain in my RC treated tooth even after having antibiotics. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I had got a root canal done on my teeth. I had seven sittings to complete it. I am still having a dull pain. Sometimes I take mild pain killers. I took antibiotics for three days for this, but still, full pain is there. What can I do?  Read Full »

Dr. Ummah Mohammad

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. 1. First of all, I would like to know which tooth are you talking about? I would also like to see the X-ray if you have it with you. 2. I am sorry as it took long for your root canal procedure, did your dentist tell about any specific complication with your tooth?. ...  Read Full »

I have tooth pain, but my X-ray showed nothing. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having tooth pain for about six weeks. It is only when pressure is applied when I eat. No sensitivity to cold or hot. I went to the dentist and he took X-rays and compared them to routine X-rays taken a couple of months prior. He said the two sets were the same and saw no ...  Read Full »

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your history, there is no pulp cavity exposure or even if there is a crack that will not cause the pain. The reason I think is the filling, which may be high (high point). The second reason may be a periodontal problem. I do not think RCT (root canal treatment) ...  Read Full »

Why am I having toothache with hard bump in the gum?

Query: Hi doctor, I have pain in my molar tooth on lower right side and under it is a hard bump in my gum. The pain is only when I eat or touch bump or tooth. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Ummah Mohammad

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. That bump seems to be an abscess collection from your explanation and the infection in your tooth has reached pulp. You should go to your dentist at the earliest, he or she will get your X-ray done and then treatment will begin. First of all, abscess drainage is a must ...  Read Full »

Will a cavity of a tooth that hits the nerve hurt worse than a necrotic tooth?

Query: Hello doctor, Will a cavity tooth that hits the nerve hurt worse than a necrotic tooth? I have two teeth that are bothering me but are next to each other. I am getting one pulled, but I am not sure on 100 % on which one is bothering me. I think it is the cavity that has hit the nerve. Kindly advice...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Necrotic roots of the tooth cause pain only if the pus formation has increased the pressure inside. The tooth which has a large cavity but nerves are vital is very painful since nerves are stimulated at the slightest touch of fluids etc. You need to ask for root cana...  Read Full »

Why do I have pain in my ear when I chew?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 31 year old unmarried male. I am getting very sharp and heavy pain in left ear side, inside center part of the ear, whenever I chew or eat food. This was started 4 days back. But, it was not that much noticeable and today morning it has increased. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your ear pain could be either due to a dental problem or nerve problem, a condition called trigeminal neuralgia. If it is dental problem it has to be addressed by a dentist. The treatment is either tooth extraction or a root canal treatment. Hence, first kindly get exa...  Read Full »

Why am I having pain in the mouth while chewing?

Query: Hello doctor, Since the age of 6 to 18 (current) I have had sharp pains in my mouth whenever I use my chewing teeth. No cavities whatsoever. I do not know what is the problem. And the pain is on and off. What is the problem?  Read Full »

Dr. Ummah Mohammad

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Possibilities are many: 1. There might be fractured teeth. 2. There might be sinus problems. 3. There might be condylar or TMJ problems. 4. Might this be related to the nerves. I suggest you go to a good oral and maxillofacial surgeon or an endodontist. Different t...  Read Full »

Why do I have pain after root canal treatment?

Query: Hi doctor, I had minor tooth pain before and got a composite filling. Then, I had extreme pain and opted for root canal treatment. I had a root canal before three days. I feel extreme pain and my tooth is still sensitive to cold. Is it possible that the nerve was not completely removed? Also, it h...  Read Full »

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your doubt is partially right. The root canal treated tooth might get some entrapped bacteria, which causes you pain. It cannot be straight away told that the nerve was not completely removed. There are some reasons for postoperative pain. Improper shaping of the canal, ...  Read Full »

Why am I having severe toothache at night?

Query: Hello doctor, I am facing a toothache problem, especially at night times. There is higher pain from the last three days. Please suggest me a solution for toothache problem.  Read Full »

Dr. Ummah Mohammad

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you are describing it as night pain it looks like the infection in your tooth has reached pulp and now requires root canal treatment. Please get an X-ray done and send the photo of the X-ray as soon as possible. For now, you may take the following medications for ...  Read Full »

What can be done for severe tooth pain during pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor,I am five months pregnant and I am having severe pain in my teeth since morning. I have taken Dolo 650 but the pain is the same.  Read Full »

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Even though you are pregnant, it is completely safe to do any dental treatment in this trimester (four to six months). It is also safe to take X-rays in this trimester. Dolo 650 is basically a Paracetamol tablet which is a very mild painkiller. It can only relieve pain ...  Read Full »

All the answers published in the forum are given by leading doctors, therapists and health experts.