Q. How to alleviate a toothache?

Dr. Beryl Fredrick

I had severe toothache in my lower right back tooth and consulted a dentist. I was told there is too much decay and that it is almost at the root canal therapy stage, or now it is. I was recommended to remove the molar tooth. But I could not get it done. The dentist wants me awake, but I prefer to be asleep due to anxiety and other health issues. It took four doses of anesthesia to completely numb it, but I still felt a lot of pressure. I have been diagnosed with mild autism, and I do not work. Therefore, I cannot afford the treatment. How can I ease the pain in my mouth?

#

I understand your concern.

If you feel the tooth removal procedure will make you uncomfortable, you can opt to go with the root canal procedure, as you mentioned that it is in the root canal treatment stage. Meanwhile, to ease tooth pain, try rinsing the mouth with warm saline thrice daily and take mild painkillers like tablet Paracetamol (Acetaminophen) if the pain is unmanageable. Also, avoid hot, spicy, and hard foods which may aggravate your pain. Consult a specialist as soon as possible.

|