Q. Kindly explain the methods to treat toothache permanently.

Dr. Beryl Fredrick
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha
Published on Jan 16, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 21, 2020

I have severe toothache and worm teeth. Please let me know the medicines I need to be used to cure it permanently.

#

I understand your concern.

Unfortunately, there is no medicine to cure tooth decay without dental treatment.

Tooth has three layers, outer enamel, dentin, and innermost never layer. When decay starts in the enamel layer, it does not show any symptoms other than a visible black spot on the tooth. At this stage, a simple tooth filling can be done. But if left untreated, it progresses through the dentin and when it reaches nerve layer it starts to give out the pain. This is when a simple filling cannot be done. A root canal treatment and crown procedure will be the only option to save the tooth.

Taking painkillers will help control the pain but it does nothing to cure the decay. It can only be manually treated by removing them. Please visit your dentist and start treatment immediately. I hope this helps.

For further queries, I would be happy to help. Good day!

| 

Do I need a root canal if there is no pain?

Query: Hello doctor,Approximately one year back, my left chewing tooth got a small hole due to something which I bit. So, that became a tooth decay, over there it looks black. I recently consulted a dentist. So, he suggested a root canal but I do not have any pain nor loose of teeth and also I am afraid of...  Read Full »

Can root canal treatment be done on a small kid?

Query: Hello doctor, My 2-1/2-year-old son has a problem with four teeth (front, above) and doctors are suggesting RCT (root canal treatment). Here are my questions. Can RCT be done for such a small child? Will it affect his next teeth at around 7 years of age? Is there any alternate for RCT ...  Read Full »

Can calcium hydroxide cause toothache while root canal treatment?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a crown in one of my teeth on the lower left bottom. The crown came off. I went to the dentist who suggested root canal even when I did not have any problem. The root canal was completed and the crown was placed. After a few days, my teeth used to pain only on consuming hot wate...  Read Full »