Q. My upper incisor hurts only when I touch. Could it be due to sinus problem?

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha
Published on Jan 18, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 22, 2020

My upper incisor hurts whenever I touch it. This morning when I woke up I was not feeling this pain but after I drank a cold juice I notice that it hurts. I went into the bathroom and check if I see any hole but there is none. I gargle with some warm salt water but it still does not stop. I brushed my teeth but I cannot go up to where the gum is because it hurts. When I eat food I do not have a problem with it but only when I touch it I feel pain. I do not know what is causing this and I am wondering if it is my sinus. But, I know that I have tooth decay because when I eat certain food my molar and premolar hurts. I have an appointment to see the dentist but it is not in the recent upcoming days.

#

I have read through your complaint and the relevant details.

Pain on pressure is a clear sign of an infection deep in the roots of your upper incisors. It could be mostly because of a forgotten trauma or assault you had in your childhood. It is not necessarily because of tooth decay. The vital part of the tooth is suffering pressure and causing the infection.

I advise you to visit the dentist on an emergency appointment immediately and you got to check with an x-ray to proceed with a root canal treatment in my opinion. Your appointment would be too late and you cannot be on Paracetamol for so long. There are a lot of chances for a bigger swelling or discoloration of the tooth.

It is not related to sinusitis as you think and the pain you get in premolar and molar region is the referred pain that you feel because of the upper incisors. Meanwhile, try not to bite any hard object or food and gently brush with a soft-bristle toothbrush.

| 

My tooth is rotting away below the gum line. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, My tooth is rotting away below the gum line. I have not been to a dentist because I could never afford it, but now I think I might need one really bad, so what should I do?  Read Full »

I have toothache after the tooth filling chipped off. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I flossed by a tooth where a filling almost came out and my tooth and gum have been hurting all night. Also have a tooth that is by this molar that fell or chipped out. I do not know if it is an abscess or an exposed nerve in my molar that is right behind it. Took Tylenol 2 every 6 ho...  Read Full »

My teeth still pain after a fluoride varnish. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I had gone to a dentist. He applied fluoride varnish paste on my teeth saying that the cavities are very small. But my teeth are still paining. What to do?  Read Full »