Q. What could cause throbbing tooth pain?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 26, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 01, 2020

Recently, I have been under tremendous amounts of stress and following that, I have started to notice my bottom front tooth has started to feel slightly abnormal. It sits further back from the rest. Recently, it feels like something has trapped between the teeth and throbs now and then. The tooth looks to have receded slightly, but my dentist did a deep clean and removed the enamel months ago. The gum looks fine and there is no swelling or redness. It did bleed slightly this morning, but not for long. Please help.

#

• The dentist removes only the calculus deposits, which are highly infectious and cause recession of gums in front teeth. He cannot remove enamel of any tooth while deep cleaning.
  • You should maintain your gum hygiene by using a mild mouthwash or warm salt water gargle thrice a day for a month at least. Slight soreness is normal after deep cleaning.
  • Keep an appointment with your dentist every six months for routine cleaning. By this way, gums will always be healthy.
  • Use normal toothpaste with a soft bristled toothbrush in an up and down motion or a round motion.
  • Do not worry too much as stress causes gingival inflammation due to hormonal imbalances in females mostly.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Sadly, the deep clean happened many months ago. This has just recently started and it is making me worry as I am about to lose a tooth. I will continue with the mouthwash and salt water washes. Could anything else explain the random throbbing?

#

• The constant throbbing is due to the slight weak bone support of the teeth. You need to maintain good hygiene and warm salt water gargle.
  • Also, have a balanced diet containing lots of veggies, eggs and milk products.
  • Brush twice daily, especially every night before sleep. Maintenance is your main responsibility.
  • Do not worry much as it will heal normally considering your young age. If you feel stressed, then try yoga if possible.

|