Q. Why am I having toothache after biting ice?

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

I crunched a hard piece of ice a week ago and those few teeth (left corner teeth) were a bit sore since but starting sunday the pain became increasingly intense (I put a solid clove in my teeth for about 30 minutes and it helped the pain but as soon as I took the clove out the pain returned). This has caused disturbance in my sleep for the past few days. Monday majority of the tooth pain went away (a few teeth still slightly hurt but not bad at all) but now my entire left side of the face is swollen and it became worse overnight (under the eye, nose, and top lip) something in my gum hurts but there is no pimple or bubble there. I have a slight fever (but it is not bad) and my left ear hurts sometimes. Sounds like an infection but I do not know why. I want to blame this on the ice but it is odd that the prominent pain started so long after the incident.

How long will this continue and what is the best at home treatment? Should I see a dentist (I have been trying to avoid it because of COVID-19). Is this a serious issue or did crunching the hard ice just trigger an infection somehow?

#

Actually ice leads to transient sensitivity but actually has zero role upon your infection. It might be a gum propblem (periodontitis). Let me know if you notice visible stain and tartar on your tooth or it might be caries that leads to infection and sensitivity from the ice triggered the pain but infection was already there. Upload an image of the area for better perception. Applying clove is a good idea but chornic clove oil acts as irritant and lead to burning sensation (ulceration), it might add to the pain too if used for a long time.

Please do not worry. Kindly answer my questions. Meanwhile, as we all are in a lockdown state, I can suggest you medication to ease your pain and manage the infection. So do not worry.

Betadine mouthwash gargle in lukewarm water 2-3 times a day, capsule Sporidex 500 mg one capsule BD for 5 days, tablet Metrogyl 400 mg 1 tablet BD for 5 days, tablet Zerodol SP 1 tablet BD for 5 days, capsule Pan D 1 capsule BD before meal for 5 days. These medication are the safest and will work like miracle. But upload the image for confirming the diagnosis to prevent any future pain or discomfort.

Caries or tartar depending upon the image.

Periodontitis.

Irreversible pulpitis (caries).

Avoid sweet or sticky or cold food items. Stop the application of clove. Maintain oral hygiene.

| 

Tooth filling got chipped off and now I have sensitivity. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I had braces and got them off and two tooth (upper left, last two) had a gap. My dentist said my filling also chipped from the removal and decided to redo the filling. Afterwards I experienced pain. Like sharp pain from eating hard things like chips, grainy things that went into the g...  Read Full »

Prevent Tooth Decay With Coconut Oil

Article Overview: This article discusses the benefits of coconut oil against dental caries and halitosis. Read Article

Dr. Nayansi Jha
Dentist

Dental caries or tooth decay is a very common problem for adults and children these days. Our food habits are such that they include a wide variety of junk food and super-rich carbohydrates. Coconut oil has been in use since ancient times for a wide variety of reasons, primarily for good hair growt...  Read Article

I have toothache after the tooth filling chipped off. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I flossed by a tooth where a filling almost came out and my tooth and gum have been hurting all night. Also have a tooth that is by this molar that fell or chipped out. I do not know if it is an abscess or an exposed nerve in my molar that is right behind it. Took Tylenol 2 every 6 ho...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»