Q. I want to quit Melacare face cream. Please suggest an alternate.

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha

I would like to know the substitute for Melacare cream, as I got the look after using the cream and want to stop it.

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

Why was it prescribed to you? Wat was the complaint? How long did you apply? Because it also contains steroid and should not be used for long time. You should use sunscreen daily. Safer option like Kojiglo cream can be used.

| 

I used to stay abroad and when I was there my skin became darker. After coming to India, I went to the hospital, and they prescribed Melacare which got my color back but my skin became sensitive. I want an alternative to keep the fairness and stop Melacare. I am using sunscreen daily. Which cream do you suggest?

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

Yes, right Melacare makes the skin sensitive. Apply La shield sunscreen daily in the morning. Golite cream daily on alternate nights for one to two months. Use Flavo-C serum only three to four drops on the entire face on alternate nights. Take tablet Ener-C 1000 mg daily one tablet put in a glass of water and drink. It is a vitamin C tablet. This should take care of your skin. But sunscreen is a must.

| 

Now my skin is fair and sensitive. Whenever I am going abroad on work, my skin is getting too darker. I have been using La shield and it is getting oily. I want to have some glow to my skin as well as I meet a lot of higher officials and socialize a lot. Which cream do you suggest for glowing skin? I want a substitute for Melacare. I will use the cream, serum, and tablet as suggested. Anything you suggest for glowing skin?

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

Changing the cream after using Melacare might give a feel that it is not showing good results, but then as I said Melacare should not be used long term so it is better you start this. There is Avene sunscreen which is also good. If you want better results there are procedures like peeling done by dermatologist. Also, if you have heard of Glutathione treatment which also give good results. For both these things, you need to visit a dermatologist.

| 

I bought La shield SPF 40 and Golite cream as suggested per you daily. Is it a substitute for Melacare? Will it show results to make my skin fairer for long? Can you suggest any cream to apply for glowing skin? I have seen a lot of actresses faces shine, and I am not sure what do they apply. I am not dark actually only my face gets dark when I visit abroad and when I get exposed to sun or winter in India. Suggest me the best which should be long term without any changes in my skin color.

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

As I said creams do not give you very good results. Lactic acid peel procedure or Q-switched and YAG laser give good results. And Glutathione oral or iv would be a good option for the long term i.e six months. All these procedures will be done in clinics. As a maintenance therapy, I have said Flavo C serum and Golite cream. Because at a certain point you will have to stop using products containing a steroid.

| 

Thank you for the reply.

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

You are welcome. Keep in touch for further doubts.

| 

What is the better sunscreen gel or lotion for sensitive skin?

Query: Hello doctor, I am using Kojivit plus gel as a face cream at night. Can you please suggest me a better sunscreen gel or lotion for sensitive skin?  Read Full »

My 12 year old daughter has white itchy spots around the lips, nose, and chin. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor, Our 12-year aged daughter has a problem with the skin around the lips, below the nose, and on her chin. It started before seven months, and the skin in those places is red with little white spots and often very itchy. We visited many general physicians a few times, but they cannot det...  Read Full »

I need your suggestions on which sunscreen to use.

Query: Hi doctor, I am in a little trouble. Summer has started where I live, and I am addicted to playing cricket, whatever the weather or climate be. From last two weeks, I have noticed that my face color has become darker due to the sun. So, I am a little confused about which sunblock cream to use. I ne...  Read Full »