Q. I am hypochondriac about Tourette's syndrome. How likely will I get it?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 06, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 08, 2020

I am a female who is turning 20 years old in two months. I was recently diagnosed with high functioning autism after suspecting for two years that I could have that condition. I have never had any kind of ticks or repetitive and involuntary movements or sounds. When I was 15, I started to become really hypochondriac (since I have had anxiety since 9) and Tourette syndrome was my nightmare. Every year I would suspect (without symptoms) that I was starting to develop it.

Recently, I started to get spasm (face and legs) before falling asleep and those spasms are now in my eyebrows and eyelids as well, including during the day. My eyes feel like blinking (normally, once every 10-15 seconds) without me controlling it. Is it possible that I am developing Tourette?

#

Tics are quite common and experienced by many people. Tics happen more prominently when you are worried and stressed. You have been reporting anxiety and particularly worried about Tourettes syndrome.

Tourettes syndrome is a severe form of tic disorder where a person has both motor and vocal tics present consistently for more than a year. From your description, you do not appear to have Tourettes syndrome. I can understand you are excessively worried about possible tics which is making your anxiety worse.

It will be helpful to try relaxation strategies to manage anxiety. Deep breathing techniques and Jacobson's progressive muscle relaxation exercises will help. Tics become less when you are less worried. If anxiety is getting worse, consult a doctor or psychologist for professional support.

| 

Diagnosis and Management of Psychogenic Movement Disorders

Article Overview: This article discusses the various types of psychogenic movement disorders, clinical pointers towards their diagnosis and effective treatment strategies. Read Article

Movements are categorized into four classes: Automatic movements. Voluntary movements. Semivoluntary movements. Involuntary movements. Automatic Movements:   Automatic movements are learned motor acts that are performed without conscious effort. Fo...  Read Article

Are my symptoms due to schizophrenia?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 25 years old. One night, when I tried to go off to sleep, I had racing thoughts that I had no control over. I did not hear any voices, just thoughts. I could not track them or process them. I was really scared as a result. This phenomenon has been happening whenever I try to go off t...  Read Full »

I get horrible intrusive thoughts. Is it due to anxiety and OCD or schizophrenia?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been suffering from anxiety, panic disorder, and perhaps OCD as well (but I have not been diagnosed with that yet) since I was 11. However, I had been completely anxiety-free for about four or five years until three months back, when I got a horrible panic attack that started it...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Psychotherapist Now