Q. Could single use of pepper spray cause permanent damage to eyes?

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
Published on Feb 24, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 07, 2019

Could an accidental use of pepper spray cause any permanent harm to eyes?

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• Yes, it may cause permanent harm. But, the injury depends on the type of damage done to the eye.
  • Otherwise, it can be washed immediately and get the treatment done to prevent any permanent damage.

For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

I guess a single incident of pepper spray in the eye does not cause permanent damage. But, I want to know in general cases.

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• In the majority of cases, there will not be any damage because we have so many protective shields in the eye like eyelids, lashes, tears, etc., to guard against such chemicals.
  • Lids close very fast without our permission in case of any danger and tears will flush the spray which enters the eye. So with this protection, the eyes are safe.
  • In rare cases, it may cause damage to the cornea and may cause damage to the vision.
  • Having said that, I recommend to wash eyes with water in such incident and consult a local ophthalmologist immediately.

What is causing vision problems in both the eyes?

Query: Hi doctor, I have attached the scan reports of my aunt. She is 54 years old, diabetic, and hypertensive. She is on medication to control sugar and BP. She had an eye surgery before one year for some nerve problem in one of her eyes. The reason given by the ophthalmologist was diabetes. Now, her comp...  Read Full >>

Dr. Rahul Vaswani
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the files (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There is a blood clot in the retina of the left eye of your aunt. This is not due to diabetes per say it may be a contributing factor. Here is what she should do: Anti VEGF (vascular...  Read Full

What are the treatment options available for dilated pupil?

Query: Hi Doctor, I had a serious eye injury before 10 years due to cricket ball hit. At that time, my pupil got enlarged and dilated. Can it get treated now?  Read Full >>

Dr. Asif Manzoor
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. After blunt trauma, pupil constrictor muscles may be damaged and that causes permanently dilated pupil called traumatic mydriasis. This just causes mild blurring or photophobia in bright light due to large aperture. But, in case of trauma, there are more important thin...  Read Full

How to treat bruising under the eye caused by trauma?

Query: Hello doctor, I got hit on my cheek by a rock while doing some work. The area under my eye swole up and caused me to have a black eye. Now a whole one year two months later, I still feel the bruising of under eye similar to the look of a black eye. Is there a certain term for this?  Read Full >>

Dr. Rabia

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The certain term for this is the black eye that you have told yourself. This is a particular term (black eye) used for trauma to eye area resulting in blood collection around it. Another term used for it is raccoon eyes or panda eyes as it forms a complete ring aroun...  Read Full