Q. My VDRL is positive with reactive TPHA result. Kindly help.

Dr. Zubayeralam
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 14, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 19, 2020

In a routine VDRL test, I tested positive. We checked for HIV and syphilis. HIV was negative, while the TPH test was reactive. I underwent a therapy of penicillin two shots before ten months, one the next month and one more the following month with three weeks gap between each.

I repeated my test this year. The TPH is still reactive. I also had developed anal warts for which I am undergoing homeopathic treatment, and they have subsided considerably. I also take prophylactic treatment for HIV, so that has been protected from HIV for a while now.

#

I can understand your concern. According to your statement you have recently done TPHA (treponema pallidum hemagglutination assay) test and shown reactive (1:80).

A reactive TPHA test most likely indicates infection by T.Pallidum but is not sufficient to determine disease activity and make treatment decisions. A TPHA reactive test can be seen in a patient with a syphilis history who has been treated.

After infection occurs, the body produces syphilis antibodies that can be detected by blood tests like TPHA. For this reason, your TPHA has become reactive as antibodies to syphilis remain in the blood for many years after the infection has subsided. So do not be worried.

| 

Are STI tests on day 42 conclusive or do I require further testing?

Query: Hello doctor, I took the following STI tests on day 42 post a possible exposure and the reports show the following: HIV DUO (4th Gen) (CMIA) - Non Reactive (0.16) Syphilis Antibodies (Treponema) (EIA) - Negative (0.64) TPHA - Negative RPR - Non-Reactive HSV 1 & 2 - IgM antibody (EIA) - Negative ...  Read Full »

I was treated for syphilis and I have flu-like symptoms now. Should I be concerned?

Query: Hello doctor,Three months ago, I was treated for syphilis with a shot of penicillin and other antibiotics. I was never tested for syphilis. I am a very active gay man who had signs of syphilis, and my infectious disease doctor presumptively treated me by providing antibiotics before I was tested. He...  Read Full »

TPA is high but VDRL is negative. Does it indicate latent syphilis?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been tested for TPA by CLIA and a high titer of 451 was detected. But VDRL is nonreactive. There is a history of unprotected sex three years back with small erosions in genitalia. At that time broad medicines including antibiotics and antifungals were taken without any specific...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»