Q. There is no ductus venosus during 1st and 2nd trimester. Will it harm the fetus?

Dr. Vivek Chail

I have absence of ductus venosus during pregnancy during the first and second trimester. Please suggest.

#

Absence of ductus venous during the first and second trimester scan is a vascular condition that might be of concern for fetal abnormalities. It can put the fetus at risk of other congenital anomalies including facial clefts, hemivertebrae, cardiac, genitourinary, and gastrointestinal anomalies.

But during the scan, the doctor told me that baby is growing normally and the blood circulation to the heart is also normal. All over the baby is normal. What should I have to do now?. It is my 20th week. Have you ever seen the patient with the absence of DV and the baby deliver is normal? Is there 100 percent chance that baby will be abnormal?

#

The absent ductus venosus is a concern and it does not mean that every baby with absent ductus venosus is going to have any problems. Studies have shown absent ductus venosus during pregnancy scans leading to normal children and this is proven in medical literature. It is possible that your baby is completely normal.

However, I suggest you to get a tertiary level ultrasound scan (detailed pregnancy ultrasound scan) done by doctors who are experts in fetal medicine imaging. If you are 20 weeks gestation then this is the correct time to go for a tertiary ultrasound scan. This will tell any small problems with the baby if found during the scan.

I have attached the file.

#

Can you please share the report details of the target scan.

Files are attached.

#

The risk of any chromosomal problems is low for your baby. The previous report shows normal development of organ systems. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

However, it is important to get an anomaly scan at 20 to 24 weeks pregnancy and this will give clear information on the development of the baby. If you did not get the scan then you can still get it done in a hospital having a fetal medicine specialist doctor.

I have done with the scan. The growth of the baby and all functionality is normal. They did not give me a report because of some issues due to Coronavirus. Now again I have to do on 20th to 22 week scan?

#

If the scan was done as a detailed anomaly scan and results are normal then there is no need to repeat scan. The anomaly scan is usually done at 18 to 20 weeks and I think your doctors have done the anomaly scan and found it normal. In that case there is no structural abnormality in your baby and the baby is growing in normal way.

Coming to the problem with absent ductus venous, there are cases where normal baby is born but scan showed the problem. So you need not worry right now. Since you have got detailed scan done, please ask your doctor when to get follow up scan to monitor the growth of baby again.

But the chromosomal abnormality? How it will diagnose? Can there be any mental problem?

#

The commonest chromosomal abnormal conditions are trisomy 21, trisomy 18 and trisomy 13. The blood tests are showing a low risk for the conditions as mentioned in the reports so there is no big risk.

There are many ways to diagnose but some of the tests are invasive and can be harmful for the baby. Mental problem is a general term and is less likely if the risk for chromosomal abnormality is low.

|