Q. I lost 25 lbs in the last two months. Should I get my thyroid test?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 09, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 11, 2020

I have been treated for anxiety disorder for the past eight years. They are now suspecting a thyroid problem. I have lost more than 25 lbs in the last eight weeks which has triggered the doctors to look closer into this. I have elevated anxiety, shaky and unsteady, high pulse rates especially in the morning 100 - 115 beats per minute, and fatigue. I am currently taking Xanax. I have attached a couple of blood tests that I have on hand. Please let me know your thoughts.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

I just read your query and saw the results which you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and it appears to be an absolutely normal thyroid function test results.

As your TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) is within the normal range, your thyroid function is normal. The slightly high T4 is not responsible for your symptoms since it is just a variable component, so as long as your TSH is normal your thyroid function is normal. Although you have impaired blood sugar levels, since HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin) is normal therefore just diet control will help. Take low carbohydrate and low-fat diet with daily 30 minutes of walk. You could benefit from a prior ECG (electrocardiogram).

I would suggest taking tablet Bisoprolol 2.5 mg once daily for your tachycardia and anxiety. It will decrease your heart rate to normal levels and help you with your anxiety as well. Try also to do yoga and meditation daily.

| 

Is the TSH level you are referring to the one that I have attached as TRAB (TSH receptor binding antibody)? The level says 36.5 and the range are 16.0. Please suggest.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

No, what I mean is the TSH and that is normal. However, what you mentioned right now TRAB is the antibodies to the TSH receptor binding which even if high does not mean a thyroid gland dysfunction.

| 

I have weight loss due to digestion issues. How to gain the weight back?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from digestion issues, mostly bloating, from more than seven months. While taking medicines, I was feeling fine, and once I stopped them, my symptoms recurred. My present symptoms include indigestion, constipation, improper motions, low appetite, weight loss, inabilit...  Read Full »

My anxiety disorder relapsed after I drank beer. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I have anxiety and panic since five years. My GP had given Nexito forte and Veniz XR 37.5. And, I felt better and asked him to reduce the dosage two years ago. He stopped both and gave Nextio plus from then till date. I felt better. I did not smoke or drink while on treatment. 10 days ...  Read Full »

Is there any alternate for medicine for hypothyroid condition?

Query: Hello doctor, Four months before I found that I have thyroid with high TSH 18. Then I put off some weight and did morning walk and running, then it decreases to 14. Now I left the exercise because I met with an accident. Now I have done my test again it was 18 again. Now I consulted the doctor but ...  Read Full »

Ask an Endocrinologist Now