Q. My 12-year-old son has fluctuating thyroid levels. Is it necessary to take medicines?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

A 12-year-old boy, having fluctuating thyroid for the last two years. I have attached the last three reports and paper attached. I need to know whether the medication should be continued or not? If to be continued then for how long duration? Please advise.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

I have seen the attachments. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

I just read your query and from what you have mentioned it appears that your son has slightly high TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormones). You can increase the dose of his Thyroxine tablet to 25 mcg five times weekly (Monday to Friday) and 50 mcg twice weekly (Saturday and Sunday).

Repeat his thyroid function test again after six weeks and then we will review again.

| 

Already he is taking 25 mcg for several months continuously but still, his TSH is increased a bit. Is it fine to take two 25 and 50 as per your advice? Is it allowed to have two different doses within a week? I hope you understood my doubts. Please confirm.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

Yes, it is safe to do so. It has been done in routine practice so not to worry about it.

You can increase the dose of his Thyroxine tablet to 25 mcg five times weekly (Monday to Friday) and 50 mcg twice weekly (Saturday and Sunday). Repeat his thyroid function test again after six weeks and then we will review again.

| 

Will increased TSH level harm the baby's brain growth?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 26 years old. My height is 5'1" and weight is 52.4. I am 20 weeks pregnant now. I underwent a surgery for complete thyroidectomy and I am taking Thyroxin 100 mcg regularly. In my first trimester, the TSH level was 0.31 and the doctor advised me to continue the same dosage of medici...  Read Full »

My bp is 100/60 and TSH level is 0.022, I am feeling alone and depressed. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,I have 100/60 blood pressure, and I feel less active. My TSH level is 0.022, and I am feeling alone and depressed, but I am getting sleep. Please help.  Read Full »

My sister got her periods in 15 days. Could it be due to her thyroiditis?

Query: Hello doctor, This question is regarding my sister. She is 33 years old. She is a mother of 6 year old twins. Two months ago, she was diagnosed with thyroiditis. From the last month, she gets her periods, once every 15 days. Kindly tell me the probable reason and the course of action to be taken.  Read Full »

Ask an Endocrinologist Now