Q. My 12-year-old son has fluctuating thyroid levels. Is it necessary to take medicines?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

A 12-year-old boy, having fluctuating thyroid for the last two years. I have attached the last three reports and paper attached. I need to know whether the medication should be continued or not? If to be continued then for how long duration? Please advise.

#

I have seen the attachments. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

I just read your query and from what you have mentioned it appears that your son has slightly high TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormones). You can increase the dose of his Thyroxine tablet to 25 mcg five times weekly (Monday to Friday) and 50 mcg twice weekly (Saturday and Sunday).

Repeat his thyroid function test again after six weeks and then we will review again.

Already he is taking 25 mcg for several months continuously but still, his TSH is increased a bit. Is it fine to take two 25 and 50 as per your advice? Is it allowed to have two different doses within a week? I hope you understood my doubts. Please confirm.

#

Yes, it is safe to do so. It has been done in routine practice so not to worry about it.

You can increase the dose of his Thyroxine tablet to 25 mcg five times weekly (Monday to Friday) and 50 mcg twice weekly (Saturday and Sunday). Repeat his thyroid function test again after six weeks and then we will review again.

|