Q. What causes the antibody levels of a thyroid patient to stay elevated despite taking medications?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Lately, my TSH levels went below 100 mIU/L, and after taking a combination of Ayurveda and allopathy medicines, the levels came down to 3.43 mIU/L and then to 1.67 mIU/L. I have stopped taking Thyroxine this week, and my TSH levels shot up to 12 mIU/L. And the T3 and T4 levels are within the normal range, which was anticipated. I underwent an ultrasound of my thyroid, which did not show inflammation. Also, no nodules, growths, or cysts were present. I am confused now about what is causing my antibodies to shoot up and what this condition is called.

Please give your suggestions.

#

I went through your query and understood your concern.

According to the history shared by you, it appears that you have hypothyroidism. Hypothyroidism is an autoimmune disorder, so naturally, there are going to be some antibodies present. So, there is nothing to worry about it. Since your TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) levels are high, I suggest you to take the tablet Thyronorm (synthetic thyroid hormone) 50 mcg once daily. Also, I suggest you to repeat your thyroid function test after three months, for a review and dosage modification if needed.

I hope this helps you out.

Take care.

|