Q. What should be done when TSH level is 4. 87 at 31st week of pregnancy?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Sep 15, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 19, 2019

My wife is at her 31st week of pregnancy, but now her TSH level is 4.87. She is continuing Thyrox 125. What to do?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

I read your query, and from what you have mentioned, it appears that your wife needs to increase the dose of thyroxine to 150 mcg and repeat her thyroid function test after four weeks again. You must repeat her thyroid function test every four weeks during pregnancy. You did not mention what was her dose before getting pregnant? Was this test done while she was fasting? If not then do it again now while she is fasting.

How long does she have hypothyroidism? Is she taking it on empty stomach first thing in the morning and avoiding eating breakfast for the next hour after medication. Secondly, is she taking any iron or calcium supplements together with the thyroid medication as it can interfere with the absorption of thyroid medication? The spacing of any iron or calcium supplements should be at least four hours away from thyroid medication. If she has any problem, she must follow in an emergency or her gynecologist as soon as possible to be on the safe side. I hope you find my advice beneficial.

My wife has twin pregnancy hemoglobin level is 10, the TSH test was done in fasting. So as per your advice, we try Thyrox 150 from tomorrow.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

Yes, please also repeat the thyroid test after four weeks again.

Will increased TSH level harm the baby's brain growth?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 26 years old. My height is 5'1" and weight is 52.4. I am 20 weeks pregnant now. I underwent a surgery for complete thyroidectomy and I am taking Thyroxin 100 mcg regularly. In my first trimester, the TSH level was 0.31 and the doctor advised me to continue the same dosage of medici...  Read Full >>

Dr. Swaraj S W
Endocrinologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) is very important for the baby's brain growth as rightly said by you.¬†Therefore, it is imperative that we treat aggressively. Target TSH in the first trimester is 0.3 - 2.5 mIU/L and therefore the doctor did not change the treatment. I ho...  Read Full

Pregnancy tests are negative, but am still having pregnancy symptoms. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 27 year old female, who started taking birth control pills eight months back, but I only took it for a week and stopped taking them. In that same week, I had unprotected sex with my fiance, and I had my periods the next day. The next month I got my periods two weeks earlier, and I ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. I see two problems in your history. Let me tell you the reason and solution. Birth control pills come in a pack of 21 or 21 active plus seven dummy pills, or the single dose of an emergency contraceptive pill. Whichever you take, will suppres...  Read Full

Pregnancy test had two mildly visible lines, but it is now negative.

Query: Hello doctor, I had unprotected sex six weeks ago and my period was late for two weeks. I used the first PT when my period was five days late and it has two lines but it is not that visible. After three days, I tried again and it is already negative. Up to the two-weeks late period, all PT are negat...  Read Full >>

Dr. Natalie Chaitan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. An initially positive pregnancy test that later becomes negative can happen with very early miscarriages. Such miscarriages can occur with little or no initial blood loss. These are termed chemical pregnancies, as they are lost before they attach to the womb and before...  Read Full

Ask an Endocrinologist Now