Q. Which medications can control thyroid levels and help a person lose weight?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

I have had thyroid issues for six years. My TSH level is 8.6 mlU/L, and my weight is 102 Kg. What medication should I take to control the thyroid levels and lose weight? I am currently taking Thyronorm 150 mcg.

#

I read your query and understand your concern. From what you have mentioned, it appears that you have hypothyroidism. I suggest that instead of increasing your dose of Thyronorm, which is giving you palpitations, it is better to continue at your current dose. Try to take it on an empty stomach early in the morning and then avoid eating anything for the next one hour. Along with that, follow these instructions.

1. Try sleeping on time at night for 8 hours. A lack of sleep can cause further worsening of thyroid function and weight gain.

2. Try to walk gradually to 60 minutes daily. Begin with 10 minutes thrice a day, and every week, add 5 minutes.

3. Try to go vegetarian if you intend to lose weight.

4. Drink two glasses of water before every meal.

Repeat your thyroid function test after six weeks, and then we will review it again.

|