Q. Does a positive Mantoux test after recovering from tuberculosis indicate active tuberculosis?

Dr. Pawar Satyajit Jalinder

I had tuberculosis one year back, and I got a Mantoux test done recently, which was positive. Also, I got a chest X-ray done, and it was normal. So what do I have to do now? Whether it is TB positive or not? Kindly help.

#

I understand your concern.

Please answer the following questions to be more clear about the current situation:

1. How was tuberculosis(TB) diagnosed a year ago?

2. What symptoms you had that time?

3. Which body organ was affected the last time you had TB?

4. For how long did you take treatment?

5. After treatment, whether your symptoms resolved or not?

6. Currently, do you have any symptoms?

When exposed to TB, your body builds immunity against it, and Mantoux shows that your body is reactive against TB, meaning you have had prior exposure to it. Therefore, there is no need to worry if you do not have any symptoms at present. Mantoux will remain positive for a long time.

Hope this helps.

|