Q. Ultrasound of my testicle showed a tunica cyst. How to treat it?

Dr. Samer S J Altawil

I have had an ultrasound on my testicle, and the radiologist has said it is a tunica cyst. I am waiting for my follow up appointment, and I am nervous. Does this need to be drained, or is surgery necessary?

#

This cyst might be a tunica cyst, but to me, it is most probably an epididymal cyst. It is small and painless. I am reassuring you not to worry. Whether this is a tunica cyst or epididymal cyst, leave it alone. These cysts do not cause cancer and do not cause infertility, and usually, they remain the same in size. Therefore leave it alone and do not worry.

Does either cyst need anything to be done? Or does it is just fine to leave it?

#

I usually assess my patients by examination. If the cyst is not painful, I reassure you do not do anything about it. I usually request them to do a self-examination once a month. If the cyst remains the same, there is no need to worry, but if it is getting bigger, they should get back to me. Most people have that cyst the same for many years with no need for removal. Hence my first line of management is observation only. Just examine your scrotum when you shower like once a month, then get back to me if it gets bigger. Otherwise, leave it as it is.

|