Turp

How to treat blockage of urine due to enlarged prostate?

Query: Hello doctor, My father is 67 years old. He is having mild psychiatric problem for the past 17 days. In the middle, around five days back the creatinine level increased from 1.1 to 5.6. So, an ultrasound was done and that showed blockage of urine due to enlarged prostate. But, urination was not comp...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivekanandan G

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have checked your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your father has enlarged prostate with severe obstruction, which is bad enough to cause renal failure. So, I would strongly advice your father to undergo transurethral resection of the...  Read Full »

How is burning sensation in the penis treated?

Query: Hello doctor, I suffer from nocturia. I have had two TURPs done about eight years ago with not much success. Anticholinergic drugs do not work Of recent I was going to urinate about nine times at night with an urge to urinate but little urine coming out. I have been to a urologist and the following...  Read Full »

Dr. Shahil Khant

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. How is your nocturia now? Have you had bladder diary maintained for nocturia? What is your bladder capacity on ultrasound? Burning sensation appears because of minor trauma during cystoscopy. It will take some weeks to heal. I suggest you take syrup Cital (alkali...  Read Full »

Is surgery inevitable for an enlarged prostate?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is having enlarged prostate and has to undergo prostatectomy surgery. But, it is getting delayed due to ITP (idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura). Right now he is under urine catheter. From past 12 days he is using Silodal-D 8 mg. Doctor said that after 20 days the prostate glan...  Read Full »

Dr. Saurabh S Pandya

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your father was on medication and has history of urine retention in the past. Currently, he is on catheter. Chances of medical management will not be successful. He needs surgery of either TURP (transurethral resection of the prostate) or HoLEP (Holmium laser enucleati...  Read Full »

My urologist recommended Finasteride for four weeks before TURP. Is there any alternative medicine?

Query: Hello doctor,I will be having prostate TURP surgery in five weeks. My Urologist has recommended daily Finasteride four weeks before to reduce bleeding during the surgery then stop. I am worried that Finasteride has been linked to prostate cancer. Is this true? Is there an alternative medication to r...  Read Full »

Dr. Gajanan Bhat

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Before I begin, let me assure you that there is no evidence that Finasteride causes malignancy when used for short term such as four weeks. As such, both Finasteride and Dutasteride can be used for reducing the vascularity of the prostate. Dutasteride is a good alter...  Read Full »

Why do I have a double urine stream?

Query: Hello doctor, I have recently developed a double urine stream from last week. I have anxiety and had all sorts of urinary tract issues and bowel issues with anxiety. Frequent urination, splashing urination and trouble urinating and I think double urination is the next in line. I had an ultrasound t...  Read Full »

Dr. Saurabh S Pandya

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The split stream can be due to narrowing of the urethral opening or sometimes due to voiding with high pressure. If you consult your urologist, get a uroflow test done. If there is any narrowing, it will show in the flow. Splaying of the stream can sometimes be prevent...  Read Full »