Q. Which of my twins have a better chance of surviving?

I have recently delivered twins, both weighing 2.2 kg. One of them was preterm and the other had IUGR. Now, I am concerned. Which of them have a better chance to survive?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

How are you doing?

• I feel the preterm baby has a better chance. Both the babies are of the same age and weight. If only one baby has IUGR (intrauterine growth restriction), then it should be having some anomaly, organ problem or selective problem in some blood vessels or placenta problem.
  • Being exposed to the same maternal uterine milieu, both had equal chances of IUGR, had it been a maternal disease. So, hope that is not a significant health issue.
  • Being just preterm without any health problems, the baby has a better chance. It depends completely on the NICU (neonatal intensive care unit) facility available and at what gestational age you have delivered. The weight alone is not important, but the gestational age is.
  • If the baby with IUGR has no issues as I mentioned, then it will have a catch-up growth and will be healthier than the preterm baby. Just pray well, both your babies will do fine and grow equally well.

Hope I have clarified your query. Do write back if you have any more queries. All the best.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|