Q. Being a diabetic, why was I started on Evista?

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 19, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 03, 2020

I am a type 1 diabetic. I have been prescribed Evista as I have precancerous cells in my breasts. I have had multiple biopsies done in the past 5 years and they were always benign. I am concerned about the harsh side effects of Evista. I cannot sit for extended periods of time as blood clots may occur and also I have an increased chance to get stroke being diabetic. Now, I am retired and not as active as I used to be. Please help.

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

#

I had gone through all the details you have posted.

• I can understand your anxiety because of multiple medications and side effects of medications.
  • Kindly understand that you need to be on Evista (Raloxifene) because of precancerous cells, which may progress to invasive breast cancer and increase your morbidity.
  • So, whenever we start therapy with some drug we look at the risk benefit ratio.
  • There may be a chance of developing stroke due to Evista, but there will be a definite risk of developing invasive breast cancer in view of precancerous cells if you do not take it.
  • To prevent DVT (deep vein thrombosis) or stroke, maintain physical activity and use Baby Aspirin, which will decrease the chance of stroke. Also, if possible, take a statin. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her regarding my suggestion.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|