Q. I am type 1 diabetic and on 40 units of insulin. How to decrease the insulin units?

Dr. Saumya Mittal
Published on Nov 15, 2019

I am 42 years old with type 1 diabetes for the last 21 years. I am also on dialysis thrice a week, and my insulin requirement increasing day by day. I was taking 8 units per meal four years ago, but now I am having 40 units per meal. Kindly guide how to decrease the insulin units.

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

The fact remains that you are probably having insulin-dependent diabetes. In this case, your sugars will rise. This is because the pancreas produces a lesser and lesser amount of insulin on their own. As that happens, the need for insulin will keep climbing.

There are two chief things you can do to decrease the insulin need. One is to reduce your diet and calory intake. The second is to maintain your weight. I will need your exact height and weight to be able to calculate the calory intake. Also, you are on dialysis. I would suggest you talk to your nephrologist regarding the type of cleansing fluid used in the machine. This is the fluid that collects your body wastes in it. Make sure that this fluid is sugar restricted.

Can I take Insulin to control blood sugar?

Query: Hi doctor,I am having high blood glucose. My fasting blood sugar is 153, postprandial is 175 and before dinner 152. My doctor advised Janumet 50/500 before breakfast and dinner and Sulisent in the morning. Shall I take it? Presently, I am having Invokana 50/500 before breakfast and dinner and Reclid...  Read Full »

Diabetes - How Aware Are You?

Article Overview: This simple quiz is to test your knowledge about diabetes. This quiz is an easy way for one to learn diabetes management. Read Article

Dr. Saumya Mittal
Diabetologist

Score: In this questionnaire, how many answers you got right? 1-3 : You need to know more about diabetes. 4-6 : You need to know more about various aspects of the disease, some parts of which you already know. >6  : You just need to stay updated. Talk to your diabetologist regularly to...  Read Article

I take insulin, but my sugar levels are high. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, How are you? I am a 54 year old male. Nowadays, my sugar level is very high. Every day, I inject 28 units of insulin, 16 units in the morning before food and 12 units in the evening before food. But, my sugar levels are at 255 mg. I want to know if I should increase the shot of insulin...  Read Full »

Ask a Diabetologist Now