Q. My 6-year-old type-1 diabetic daughter complains of stomach pain. Should I go for a celiac test?

Dr. Satyajit Jalinder Pawar

My daughter is a 6-year-old and is a type-1 diabetic. Her sugars are normal. HbA1c is 6.4%. We had her last celiac disease test nine months which was negative. But for the last three to four days, she is complaining of stomach pain, and I feel like she has some gas issues. I gave her a tablet Scopinal (Hyoscine Butylbromide) last night, and she is fine now. Should I again go for a Celiac test? She is regular on dairy products and wheat bread every day for the last year. Please guide. Thank you

#

I have gone through your query and can understand your concern. It is well known that children with type-1 diabetes have an additional risk of developing other autoimmune illnesses like celiac disease, autoimmune thyroiditis. The incidence of celiac disease is about 3 to 7%. Also, celiac disease can develop over time, so there is a chance that tests can become positive over the next few years.

Abdominal pain and dyspeptic symptoms in such cases can be due to simple gastritis, uncontrolled sugars, abdominal infections, and celiac disease.

I would like to know what were the baseline tests to determine the need for another different test.

As her symptoms seem to be resolved after medication, I would not advice another test. It is recommended to repeat testing in asymptomatic cases first at around three years and then later every three years. But if symptoms are recurrent, I would advice you to go ahead with repeat testing, which covers both antibodies for celiac disease.

I would be happy to help you further if you have any more questions.

|